A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 400d to 40d upgrade worth it?

400d to 40d upgrade worth it?

Hello - there's a 2nd hand camera shop near where I work and I was wondering about trading in my 400d with a couple of lenses that I dont use for a used 40d (body only). If I can get a reasonable amount for my 400d + lenses and not have to spend much more on a 40d (say £100 more) would it be worth the upgrade?

If you don't use the lenses that often and you are trading in a body to get a body. I say go for it. I have a 20D and want to upgrade. I would definitely upgrade the 400D. The rebel series are nice but the bodies of the xxD series feel way better in my hands. I like the controls a lot better as well. The wheel is genius.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Cool - yeah, i don't imagine I'll use a cople of the lenses I have ever again - I wont get much for them but looking at it I should be able to upgrade for £100.

Since getting a couple of decent lenses I've noticed that the 400d feels a tad flimsy compared to the build quality of the lenses. The 40d has a greater bit depth of image doesn't it? Does it make that much difference?

Image quality looks the same. I went from 350d to 450d,got scared as the image quality ( when everything was set to zero ) seemed lower than 350d, and traded up to a 40d just to see it was the same.

But with some sharpening in Camera Raw I now get nice images.

The feel of the camera is great though, but dont expect any image quality improvement. Noise is about the same too.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com