A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sumo Paint

Sumo Paint

Geeh, long time since I posted here. I came across this little painting tool and thought it was pretty awesome so I had to show you guys How's it going over here anyway?

http://www.sumo.fi/products/sumopaint/

Student
    pretty impressive
    it could use some minor tweaks here and there (like preview checkbox for intense operations ect.) and a more professional GUI but overal already very nice and impressive what is possible with Flash.
    I wonder though how adobe might react since its obvious that they copied of the ideas of a well known application.

Adobe could also say "look what you can do with Flash (which we sell)"...

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    I wonder though how adobe might react since its obvious that they copied of the ideas of a well known application.
    What do you mean? Image editing programs have looked like that way before Photoshop came out
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

yes,it´ll be interesting to see how Adobe reacts. Sure one could say they could be proud and pimp what can be done with flash, on the other side with time people will do web apps in flash, later with silverlight, too and even later just with ajax which will get closer and closer to the high end commercial retail design tools and at some point that will hurt those companies of course.
    Adobe actually is proactive on that end in a way because they are doing a small (more basic than this app) photoshop web version and they are meanwhile also offering hosting services for photoshop etc data storage which seems to be the first stage to offer a cloud driven version of their designer based apps themselves.

to hatu: several companies came up with UI/functionality of such apps which is seen as pretty common today, but yeah, they have many patents on such things, have a googling on Adobe and macromedia court actions, before Adobe and Macromedia got all friendly to each other (before Adobe bought Macromedia) they actually had several court cases claiming the other side stole some of their inventions by using it in their own app, in some cases it was purely about UI elements.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 10-03-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Student
    for example the tabs is something adobe has a patent for (stupid enough if you ask me),- or the progress bar is something IBM has in their portfolio. Sure they dont sue each webdesigner but in fact their could.

I was just saying that such a application has the power to be a replacement for photoshop at some point. Esspecially the GUI is as speedy as the CS3 version at my older computer -> very laggy. So it is already equal in terms of the GUI performance.

btw. did you guys noticed that you can go fullscreen?,- its even more a Photoshop feeling.

I agree with Render.

Although we all take influence from things we like ( I am guilty of this on many occasions) something like this that is obviously not a portfolio/showcase example, and is in fact a working web app with I assume a bit of marketing attention behind it, is to close to there muse.

I understand that most drawing api's follow a simialr layout structure, but they all use there own style.

This on the other hand looks very much like a mac photoshop knockoff, very well done btw, and much respect to hos who created it.

But again, I agree with render, they should be carefull about sticking with this design.

Adobe may not get upset now, but since it is so well done, what will happen when adobe does decide to create something similar? Are they going to have to compete with this software which uses there own design?

If adobe wanted to create something like this they might as well acquire this program and develop on that.

Student
    perhaps ,- just like they did with buzzword
    http://www.adobe.com/acom/buzzword/
    (btw. it even has the lame beta word in it)

Now that is a cool idea.

I honestly never knew about that. Excellent link