A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MySql: Count number of rows from multiple tables in a single query

Question MySql: Count number of rows from multiple tables in a single query

Hi all.
    I am trying to count the number of rows from multiple tables in a single query based on criteria. For example, say I have 2 tables, books & bags but based on certain type of a book & certain type of a bag. Now I want to count the number of rows in books table & the number of rows in bags table, all in the same query. I tried some queries like the following:

PHP Code:
    $sql    "SELECT  count(*) FROM $books AS books_rows, (SELECT  count(*) FROM $bags AS bags_rows) WHERE books_rows.book_id = '$book_id' AND bags_rows.bag_id = '$bag_id' AND bags_rows.available = 'y'  AND (bags_rows.in_stock = 'y' OR bags_rows.color_available = 'y' OR bags_rows.sold_out = 'n') GROUP BY books_rows.on_id, bags_rows.post_id ";

$result          mysql_query($sql) ;

// I tried different ways of query, like:
    $rows mysql_fetch_array($result);

$sql_data mysql_fetch_row($result); 

Nothing really seems to get me the count from the 2 tables in the same query depending on the criteria. Can some one please suggest a solution?

Thank you in advance.

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    try this
    PHP Code:
    $sql    "SELECT  count(*) FROM $books AS books_rows, (SELECT  count(*) FROM $bags AS bags_rows) WHERE books_rows.book_id = '$book_id' AND bags_rows.bag_id = '$bag_id' AND bags_rows.available = 'y'  AND (bags_rows.in_stock = 'y' OR bags_rows.color_available = 'y' OR bags_rows.sold_out = 'n') GROUP BY books_rows.on_id, bags_rows.post_id ";

$result          mysql_query($sql) ; 
    $count mysql_num_rows($result); 
    hope it helps
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Hi,
    Thank you for your response. I tried $count = mysql_num_rows($result); but it gives me an error on that line. I have 0 entries in books table & 1 entry in bags table for testing & would like to get the results separately, even though I run only 1 query.

Kindly let me know if you have any possible solution for this.

Thank you.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Never mind, You where clause is going to make what I did a little complicated.
    Last edited by kortex; 10-08-2008 at 09:56 AM.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Hi, I don't know too much PHP, but the select might have a problem. I think that what you need is using a nested or imbricated select. Something like:
    SELECT (SELECT count(*) FROM $books) AS books_rows, (SELECT count(*) FROM $bags) AS bags_rows WHERE books_rows.book_id = '$book_id' AND bags_rows.bag_id = '$bag_id' AND bags_rows.available = 'y' AND (bags_rows.in_stock = 'y' OR bags_rows.color_available = 'y' OR bags_rows.sold_out = 'n') GROUP BY books_rows.on_id, bags_rows.post_id

The select statements are ok, I've used them from some time, but the criteria part, maybe you should use the in in statement. Something like: SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE Empid in(SELECT Empid FROM employee);

Good luck, I hope that's what you looking for!

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    This thread is over 4 years old. Do you really think help is still need after all this time?
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com