A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Everyone backup your files now

Everyone backup your files now

or just not let anyone go near your stuff. So my paranoia has finally been proven right. Tonight my flat mate asked if he could use my computer to watch a movie with his gf and I didn't think twice about it- actually I told him he could use mine over someone else's. Since I didn't have a computer to play on anymore I wandered downstairs to hang out with some people only to have him come down 10 minutes later "I think I broke your HD". While he was moving my laptop and external hd setup across the room to the other couch my external hd fel off the little table about 18" to the ground and broke it.

I went upstairs to see the damage. I have a WD 400gb mybook with the plastic casing and nothing seemed wrong physically. But when I turn it back on it makes an AWFUL grinding sound. Too be hopeful i think it is a internal fan so I take the case apart- nope just the hd within. So I turn it back on once I have it all apart- again with the awful grinding and nothing showing up on my computer.

So now I have a totally destroyed HD and just lost a lot of data. Luckily I have a complete backup of all my photos till the day I left for London back at home and had a backup of all my photos taken since on that HD and my laptop so I didn't lose anything photowise but I lost everything else on there. The HD obviously fell as it was spinning so I am guessing he knocked the internal disk off the spinner or bent the pin or something. That is completely unrepairable isn't it? If only I could get it to just show up on my computer so I could buy a new HD to back it up onto but I feel like everything is totally lost...

other then paying out the ass for some rip off company to take it apart and TRY to get the data off is there any other option?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

looks like you'll be spending your extra food pounds on recovery rather the bloody float pools.

if its a grinding noise its the drive. its toast.

rule #64995: if you let someone else touch your equipment make sure they sign a waiver and take a deposit.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

dont pay for the repairs... pressure your firend cuz he broke it imo
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

I once recovered everything from a drive that I never backed up, using this:
    https://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/windows.html Though I think I only paid like 100USD for the software (it was the only one that could read my hd). There are a lot of free data recovery programs, but most of them aren't good...now, even if you can repair the hd, I wouldn't trust it anymore. Once broken, it can break again soon.

I try keeping a backup all the time. I've trying out syncback. Nothing rsync couldn't do, but having an easy gui is better for me (too lazy).
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

doItLikeThis
    Quote Originally Posted by gshock
    dont pay for the repairs... pressure your firend cuz he broke it imo
    Really, why would you pay for the repairs? He has broken it, he should be considerate enough to get it fixed.
    -Aditya

he is foreign

doItLikeThis
    Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for silverx2, woohoo...
    -Aditya

Grinding is a head crash. The more you try to run it the more damage you'll do. A recovery center is the only option.

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    Again with the woolly warmers?
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

That happened to me this spring. What I learned from it was to never take apart the plastic casing. Not sure how old your harddisk is, but if it is about 1 year old, then you can get it replaced for free IF YOU DON'T TAKE IT APART! I took it apart

Quote Originally Posted by webdreamer
    Again with the woolly warmers?
    not 'again' (per se`).. still.

It is over a year old and I took it completely apart. I am pissed I can't see my older photos for 2.5 months now but at least I didn't lose anything I can't replace or get again(with loooooots of time)

He will definitely be buying me a new HD. It was a 400 gig but I could easily get a 500 gig now for the price I paid...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You'd think forking out for an HD enclosure that it would have sufficient shock absorbtion to endure an 18" fall.

Yeah I am pretty pissed that this HD didn't survive a 18" drop. But I do get how delicate they are and it was running at the time.

So who will replace it?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

What do you mean? He's going to give me money and I am going to go buy a new one.

I said exactly what I meant. I just did not see that he will be giving you money for a new one.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

"so my flatmates went out to dinner last night and they havnt come back yet, all of their stuff is gone and i dont think they are paying for my Hd, im so mad... im so madddddddd, i need to relax, im going to a floating pool"

OR you could prod him towards the SSDs of equivalent pricing instead..