dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] [cs3] Flash *breaks* JavaScipt popup

resolved [RESOLVED] [cs3] Flash *breaks* JavaScipt popup

This is a different issue than the "js menu behind flash object" but I don't even know how to search for it. All searches thus far have just lead me to the how to place flash behind JS (which again, isn't my issue).

Well here is my problem, in I.E. 7 at least, it works fine in FF3... and I don't have the ability yet to test in other versions of either browser.

http://www.gracebrethren.org/new

I am working on a new site for a church, popups work great except in I.E. 7 (at least) when you move down the list of menu items, once it hovers over the flash object, it breaks (closes).

I have tested these things:
    1) Commenting out/removing the flash object allows the popups to work
    2) Removing everything IN the flash object (text/etc) and have a blank flash object still breaks the popup
    3) it has nothing to do with the js/css code with padding/etc... I've tried different things and they always break when switching from link to link over the flash object.

There may be something I am missing in my js/css code, I am still fairly new to more advanced js scripting. Any help would be most appreciated,

Thank you,

TJ
    Last edited by teejnits; 10-09-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: fix title...

Safari

I was just able to test this in Safari. It works fine there as well.

Thanks in advance,

TJ

z-index

Thanks for the suggestion, I just checked:
    the z-index of the menus are 1
    the z-index for the flash object and div surrounding the flash object are both -1.

I've tried numerous variations (setting the z-index of only the flash object, setting z-index of the popups, not setting the z-index values)... Still works everywhere except IE.

Thank you again for the thought, I am still stuck

TJ

AS3 Mod
    You are not actually setting the z-index properly.

You need to use position: absolute|relative before setting the z-index on the objects, which will require a bit of changing your code around.

May want to search the workings of the z-index property to understand better how to implement it.

ah yes, I forgot about that. The reason why I didn't assign absolute values to the popup menus is because they break when I do.

Thank you for your suggestion, I set the flash object position to absolute and z-index = -1. It works now.

I havn't needed z-index much and as such haven't really studied that property... Thank you for helping me.