A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pal dv export for dvd.

pal dv export for dvd.

hi,
    Has anyone exported a good quality dv pal animation from flash successfully?
    i have done a linear logo/indentity animation in flash. It has lots of hard edges and i cant get a good pal dv render from flash at all. If i use animation compression it works fine thats why i think its something to do with dimensions or format. The dimensions of the flash movie are 720 x 556.
    sorry if this if off topic.
    thanks in advance
    thanks

---------------------------

i have basic rules, i eat meat, drink wine and dont take students

-kvn

Quote Originally Posted by kvnmcwebn
    hi,
    Has anyone exported a good quality dv pal animation from flash successfully?
    i have done a linear logo/indentity animation in flash. It has lots of hard edges and i cant get a good pal dv render from flash at all. If i use animation compression it works fine thats why i think its something to do with dimensions or format. The dimensions of the flash movie are 720 x 556.
    sorry if this if off topic.
    thanks in advance
    It's likely that the PAL DV format you're using is displaying poorly on your progressive monitor btw. DV footage always looks like s**t until you transcode it and play it back on a tv monitor.

apart from the fact that you're using the wrong programme for this animation (try after effects next time ) you have the wrong resolution for the DVD format. PAL DVD standard is 720x576. Have you allowed the standard title/action safe areas?

The best format to use is either quicktime or AVI. don't compress it at all, and remove the keyframe option if you do decide to use quicktime. depending on your DVD authoring software, this should be fine and an MPEG-2 transcode will look good. Encore DVD for example will take AVI files as long as they are the correct dimensions and frame rate.

Hope all this makes sense, let me know if I can help further
    Dan

hi dan,
    It's likely that the PAL DV format you're using is displaying poorly on your progressive monitor btw. DV footage always looks like s**t until you transcode it and play it back on a tv monitor.
    well that explains a lot.

I know flash is probably the wrong tool for this-I dont do much video. I worked on a flash project for a small company and theyve gotten a promo dvd done. So they wanted me to do an animated logo for the intro of the dvd. The rest of the dvd contains video which a broadcast video guy has done in pal dv and asked me to use the same format. No wonder it wasnt looking good on computer monitors!!@!. Anyway I found it hard to get an uncompressed quicktime out of flash-seemed to drop a lot of frames- but by using animation compression it was grand. All right then i will use quicktime for the ani. And I will ask video man to give me an mpeg. Hopefully I will be able to put get them both into idvd and out again in a format thats good on pcs and tvs. Maybe i will have to put them both into imovie first to get them onto the one video track.
    thanks a million.

oh btw 556 was a typo it was 576.
    thanks

---------------------------

i have basic rules, i eat meat, drink wine and dont take students

-kvn

sounds like you're all good then!

Once more, PAL DV will be fine once you've encoded it to another format. the company i work for uses this format solely as an interim between our edit system (avid mediacomposer) and Sorensen Squeeze, which will give you a lovely (if slightly oversaturated and high-luma) mpeg-2.

Dan