A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Show] 41st Reality

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar

[Show] 41st Reality

Hey guys,

It's been a little while, I should really be more active round here so sorry that I'm just popping up to pimp my game!

Yes, it's a shmup .

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/41st-Reality.html

From now on I'm unfortunately not going to have much time for flash, so I'm considering this to be my 'final' shmup. It's basically a collection of all of the things that I think have worked well in my previous games combined into one to make the ultimate arena shmup.

I'm not sure weather or not I succeeded, you lot are my best critics so I will let you be the judge of that !

Also, just to reiterate what it says in the loader, please if you can play the game in firefox 3 (or chrome as a second best), as IE really gives terrible performance, at least for me.

Ali

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    **** I'm totally addicted to another of your shmups... this time simply for the AWESOME soundtrack. Did you make it?

The visuals are awesome.

The gameplay, while not so original, fits in very well with that chaotic music.

Fantastic job, as usual.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Really enjoyed it I especially liked the roaming opponent that would fire 2 missles then reload, and the spoked opponent that expands and contracts. The powerups were also very fun (sentry gun+homing missiles FTW!)

One thing I would change is the homing "+" enemy. When you die, I think these guys should lose lock and wander away. As it stands, they hover over your spawn point and make it tough to fight back when you respawn.

Maybe the easiest solution is to make your respawn a different random spot than where you died. Or maybe a random empty spot so you don't come back right inside a new enemy. [Generate random points inside of a while loop, do proximity queries from that point, and kick out of the loop once a reasonably empty spot is found?] You could add some audio/visual cues when the respawns so the randomization won't be as disorienting.

Loved it mate, it's excellent.

You got my 5 baby

Squize.

Student
    the visuals are very nice,- framerate is very smooth and the main menu a nice change of things

Very cool, though a bit easy (maybe due to me playing in FireFox 2). I scored over 70 million.

Slightly off-topic, last week I had the pleasure of playing the great grandfather of these kinds of games, an original "Space Wars".

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9691

Made in 1977, it had white on black vector graphics, and what's amazing for a game of that time, is the really smooth and realistic physics in the gameplay. You have 2 ships against each other, with thrust, inertia, and a black hole in the middle that adds gravity pull when flying near it.

If a ship gets hit only slighty (as opposed to direct hit) a piece flies off and you can still maneuver your crippled ship around (but can't fire).

</offtopic>

Bullet HELL at 90 million points. You were warned. 4 rows of the Space Invaders plus 3 of the spinny blocks that shoot every which way. Good luck. I went from 4 lives to 0 in about 30 seconds.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

doItLikeThis
    Smooth performance in FF3, great work ali. Game play was a good mix, very well executed.
    -Aditya

very nice, i don´t have to add much really on what the others said, looks great, runs great and its quite a lot of fun, gets the top rating from me, too

Very good!
    Runs smooth on IE 7 Vista for me.
    The visuals remind me of TonyPa shoot series.
    Did you used the Bitmap Drawing API from bytearray ( http://www.bytearray.org/?p=67 ) ?
    I loved the way you ask the username at the begining of the game.
    Btw, when I click on the "scores" button, I get a javascript error on the page and nothing happens.

Just out of curiousity, why is there a bit of whitespace above and below the actual playing area?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Cheers for the responses guys .

IP - Thanks a lot mate, glad someone’s addicted . No I didn’t make the music unfortunately. That’s one area that I cant get the hang of.

rachil - Glad you liked my attempts at coming up with some more interesting enemies. I was aware of the 'problem' with the + enemies, probably should have done something about it, but you have a period of invincibility after you die anyway so you should be able to kill off or run away from any enemies that have massed around you.

A bit of a lazy attitude I know, but to be honest I ran out of free time and had to get the game done.

Squize - Cheers mate, glad I haven’t managed to lose your support yet

render - I've probably said this to you before, but its always nice to have such a great artist call my visuals "very nice" . Glad you liked the menus too, I was bored with boring static menus.

Ray - Thanks! Yea, you don't want to be playing it in firefox 2, it runs about half speed for me.

IP (again) - Hehe, yea, gets pretty hectic after a while, with some practice though it kind of becomes second nature to dodge the bullets!

adit - Cheers buddy! Glad its running smooth for everyone.

tomsamson - Thanks a lot . Thanks for the rating too!

Sietjp - Thanks! Nope, didn’t use the bitmap API, its all just vector graphics with the quality turned down, you can play it with high quality too, though it may be slow. I think the low quality adds a certain charm to it anyway.

IP (again, again) - To be honest I really don’t know but I wish I did! Every AS3 game I have made has had that, though usually it only happens when its played offline, seems this time its happening online too .

Thanks again for the feedback guys

Ali

I am having a reoccurring problem where if I'm moving in a direction when I die, the key is locked and always forces me in that direction. I can get it to stop if I mash on all the directions for a bit though.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

shmup master.

lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

nice work alillm. you have a deft touch when it comes to the shumup stuff.
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 10-09-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Had to google shmup Great shmup indeed.

Absolutely brilliant - its been ages since I've played a game I've properly enjoyed. Love the visuals and music and all of the different weapons.

The only thing I think could be improved is to make the crosshair a bit more visible. In the more hectic sections it can sometimes be hard to see, especially as all of the visual elements share the same colour (nice effect btw).

How long did it take you to complete building it?

IP - I don't know why that is, the key detection/movement is independent of the players death. Try pressing the direction that it’s stuck moving in again and see if that fixes it, I’ve had similar problems before. I will have to look into that.

mr M - haha your too kind thanks a lot.

Blink - Thanks mate, I think when you make a few games in a certain genre you really start to get a feel for what works and what doesnt. As they say, practice makes perfect, I still have a long way to go though!

hooligan - Thanks mate .

dVyper - Thanks a lot, I'm really pleased its a game that you can enjoy playing! I’ve seen other people comment on the crosshair. Personally I never found it a problem but sorry if you found it hard to see. I will keep it in mind for future games. Took me about 6 weeks which is probably longer than it would have taken me if I wasn’t lazy .

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Ali

Really great game, I enjoyed it a lot.
    The atmosphere was great, really loved the menus and all that. And of course the game too!

Nice!