A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loading local external clip in player problems

Loading local external clip in player problems

I am building a CD training course in F8 (html, not exe) and trying to load a flv from a subfolder to the swf. I call the function to load the flv from an xml file, the link opens the player "window" but I can't get the video, "assets/3.flv" to load inside. I'm going to eventually try to use an array to dynamically select the right videos to load, but for now, I'll be happy just to figure out how to load the direct url to the flv. I've tried a million things, like loading another clip into the parent clip, and then calling the flv (below), but nothing works. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here?
    PHP Code:
    function showMyVideo(){
    hideVideo();

vidTime 0;    //reset it

curSpot 0;

vidDone false;
        var 
    ref attachMovie("window","window_mc",300);

ref._y 100;

ref._x 641;

window_mc.createEmptyMovieClip("new_mc"310);

new_mc.loadMovie("assets/3.flv");

Oh, and there is also a container (navigation) that calls the swfs (content) that call the player.
    Last edited by amy_od; 10-09-2008 at 08:31 AM.

this may sound crazily patronising and I apologise if it is...but are you using a netstream object or the FLVplayer to actually display the video?

Dan

No offense taken. I think that is the crux of my problem. Since I posted, I've upgraded to CS3. I'm publishing to the Flash 8 player in AS2. I reimported/converted my FLV files (because they were old--from 2005), and am able to run them as netstream objects, or run them as embedded videos from the timeline. But I get no skins. I also can get the skin to open using the code above, but get no movie--even if I use the component inspector and skip trying to script it. I don't care if they run as SWFs or FLVs. I have about 70 videos in both formats now. I have to use absolute paths because this is going on a CD. I've looked through all the boards, and the Flash Help/Livedocs, but nothing has worked. I just want to open the videos from that function (called from xml) with skin controls. I am probably missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Amy

Maybe the skin doesn't work because it (and the movie swf/flv) are being called by a parent SWF? I've gotten swfs and skins to play in an HTML page before. Do I need to build my own controllers/skin? I'm trying to resurrect something that was built in '05 in MX, that called two external scripts that were not to be found. One of them was "SWFstudio", which I understand is a third-party app. There was a homegrown media player that didn't work (probably connected to SWFstudio) that I tossed in favor of trying to update to FLV. I'm fearing that might be the magic that made this work.