A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can I stop preloading flash video?

Willing to Lean

How can I stop preloading flash video?

I was wondering how I can have my flash video not load when the page loads, only have it load when the user presses the play button?

The reason being is that I am trying to track how many times the video is being played; however, right now it tracks it as if it is a page view because the video loads right away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if anyone would need the files, but here they are just in case.

http://builtinvacuum.com/flashkit/flash.zip

If anyone needs anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again

I'm actually having the same problem with my videos... let me know if you find anything out outside of these boards!

How about if you called your SWF from a parent flash movie. The parent had the play button (that played the child SWF) and the SWF actually conntained the preloader?

e

Willing to Lean
    How would I go about doing that? Would that actually not load the .flv until someone presses "play."

Files and objects you'll need:
    -parent.swf
    --play_btn (button to start main.swf)
    --holder_mc (movie clip to contain your main SWF)
    -main.swf (or whatever your current SWF is called)

Create parent.swf with the same dimensions as main.swf. In the first frame, set frame actions to contain:
    stop();

Drag play_btn onto the stage within the first frame. Give it the actions:
    nextFrame();

In frame two of parent.swf, create an empty movie clip on the stage, giving it the instance name, holder_mc. Align it in the upper left corner of the stage. Give it the actions:
    holder_mc.loadMovie("main.swf");

Make sure parent.swf and main.swf are within the same folder. Should work for ya.. Let me know.

e
    Oops, just noticed you have it saved as .FLV file. I'm not familiar with those... Try the method I've suggested, at least to see if it works...

Sometimes such preloading of flash video occurs by default but no need to worry for that as you might have loaded the .flv and must have pressed "play".Now you just do one thing that unload all the .flv files so as to stop the preloading of the flash video.

www.rhub.com