A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installation of Away3D and Papervision

resolved [RESOLVED] Installation of Away3D and Papervision

I'm hoping somebody can help clear up some questions I have about installing Away3D and Papervision. From what I understand I will need Flash CS3 for either to work. Currently I'm running Flash 8 Pro. I also had read that Away3D, and I believe Papervision as well, require SVN (Subversion) to be installed. I don't understand the point to SVN. Is it like a runtime environment? From what I read and understood, it's just software to help document software revisions. So why do I need SVN installed? If anybody could tell me how to get Away3D up and running, or send me a URL that explains how to, so I can start learning how develop with it I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.

Mo

For PaperVision, you will need a SVN app if you want the nightly 2.0 builds, but not the released version 1.5 version. Download here. There is a 1.5 *.mxp component for download.

I just can't help you in regards to the Flash 8 usage/installation.

Same with Away3D. I've had no time yet to explore that. I can answer this part later. But not in regards to Flash 8 again - I just don't have a copy laying around any longer... sorry.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Gerbick,

Thanks for the info. Sorry it took a few days to reply back. Between school and work I'm hard pressed to find time to sleep, let alone get online. At least now I understand the point of the SVN app.

I tried installing Papervisions .mxp with F8 Pro, and it told me "Unexpected File Format".

I'll try again on the schools PC's running CS3. Last time I tried, it installed just fine, but I didn't notice anything different/added. I looked in the components list thinking there would be something listed in there, but there wasn't.

I'm definitely needing/wanting to research this more. However, articles on this seem to be scarce.

Thanks again,
    Mo

It won't work with Flash 8. I'm also busy as all get out and forgot to tell you that... sorry. It will work with Flash CS3.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Flash Developer
    Use Papervision2 source files with Flashdevelop. That is easily the best way to work with papervision. Installation is very easy and it is all free. Lovely

Nickpolet,

I checked out what you had posted, and thanks for the info. Very interesting in both regards. I was really impressed with, the little that I've messed with it, Flashdevelop.

Still a little lost on some aspects of the whole integration of 3D to Flash thing. I was thinking it was along the lines of, drag a component of Papervision onto the stage and that's it your done. lol I'm finding out that's not how it works really. Which is cool with me, I'm game for the coding aspect.

Between trying to learn to create Papervision, Flex, and AIR apps, I think I'll be reading tutorials for quite some time.

Mo

http://www.flashmagazine.com/Tutoria..._flashdevelop/

just checkout this link and you will get all the answers have fun enjoy

ratanjaiswal,

Thanks for the link. That post is a bit old, I've since used PV3D, Sandy, and Away within FD. My fault for not marking the thread as resolved. But I plan on bookmarking the link at any rate. There's really no such thing as knowing to much in this field.

Mo

I have been having problems with setting up away3D. I've got it so that it's suppose to load all the src files and this is the code I'm using to compile:
    PHP Code:
    package {

import away3d.containers.View3D;

import flash.display.Sprite;

import flash.events.Event;

public class 
    MyFirstApp extends Sprite {
            private var 
    view:View3D;
        }

Even doing this returns a ton of errors. I'm using Flash CS4 as3.