A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS2.0 Flash 10 Bug with textField

AS2.0 Flash 10 Bug with textField

I have text fields that are within movieClips such that accessing them would be myText.textField.text = "blahBlah"...these text fields are for e-mail addresses and web addresses that are clickable by the user...in flash 10 the text is cut off after about the middle of the first letter...so half of the first letter is visible (and clickable) and the rest is just not there...the textfield is set to autosize but it is plenty long originally to support most links...check the jpg...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paulskii; 10-27-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Ok I have figured out that this is caused by textField.autoSize = true; if I do not have autoSize in there...or if its set to false...the problem does not occur...whats wierd...is that it only happens to certain MCs with autoSized textfields within them...not all my autoSize text fields...any ideas?

More info on this issue...it seems like its a more general textField problem than just autoSize...because I have two dynamic text fields that are populated with text...the text fields were originally one line with autoSize set to true to make the TF fit...but I though that I can get around this by making my textFields a static size...so I made them as wide as I need them...and 11 lines of text tall...and the same problems that I though were being caused by autosize are still here...for some reason, my one text field puts a line break after the last word in each category...and in my profile the words are getting cut off on the far right of the text field....see the attached jpg to see what I mean about the categories...the categories are supposed to look like
    -category 1
    -category 2
    -category 3 b c
    instead they show up...
    -category
    -category
    -category 3 b
    c
    ...and if I trace them to another text field on stage...they appear fine...check out the jpg...

here is the code to populate the two textfields...they are one right after the other...

tab3.catText.exProf.text = _parent.exCats;
    _root.tracer.text+="\n"+_parent.exCats;
    Attached Images Attached Images

it equals a string such as "-category 1/n-category 2/n-category 3 b c/n...."

Im sorry my "/" were in the wrong direction in the above example...the string follows the following format..."-category 1\n-category 2\n-category 3 b c\n...."

AS3 Mod
    Did this FLA start out as an AS 2.0 document that you are converting to an AS 3.0 FROM that document or an AS 3.0 from a new document?

Am I screwed till Adobe fixes this on their end?

AS3 Mod
    I have never seen this issue right out of the box of a new AS 3.0 FLA file which is why I asked my last question.

If you took your old AS 2.0 FLA and changed it from 2.0 to 3.0 in the settings then started tweaking to 3.0 from there then I can understand why some of the classes would not have converted properly. In this case you will want to start fresh with a 3.0 document.

Does that make sense?

No this is originally 2.0 and has stayed that way the whole time...I have not had any intentions to convert it to 3.0

AS3 Mod
    Ah sorry, I have been looking at too many AS 3.0 threads today.

I know that there are a number of FP 10 bugs out there right now. May want to go onto adobe's site and report this one.

I would be curious to see how it looks from my end if you are able to post this somewhere on the internet for us to view.

about bug 2, I think the text is not wide enough to hold a complete line without wrapping,I think without allowing autosize it'll always wrap!!
    because your test text _root.tracer is wider ,so it holds the text well.
    about your first bug I don't know about that...

And it looks normal when viewed in Flash 9?

Quote Originally Posted by Rehab AAziz
    about bug 2, I think the text is not wide enough to hold a complete line without wrapping,I think without allowing autosize it'll always wrap!!
    because your test text _root.tracer is wider ,so it holds the text well.
    about your first bug I don't know about that...
    The text field that is getting wrapped is actually wider than the _root.tracer text field...so I'm not sure why it would be wrapping...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    And it looks normal when viewed in Flash 9?
    Yes...everything worked fine until I upgraded to flash player 10...and it still works fine on flash player 9 machines...