A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can i get started in 3d?

How can i get started in 3d?

I am a complete beginner, and especially when it comes to 3d, i have almost 0 knowledge.....i have done some fake 3d, but that's it! Now i want to learn 3d in flash, but can't decide which to start learning with, papervision or away3d? It seems most people like using papervision, on the other hand, away3d has some interesting works to boast of! So please suggest which one will be the easiest and best to start with? Sandy? Papervision? or away3d?

Flash Developer
    I would start with Sandy3d. It has a nice way of working and has similar programming styles to java (which is quite easy to learn if you have no previous programming experience). I would also learn some 3d software like blender or 3ds max. It is important that you can create you own stuff with software like this instead of purely using other peoples work.

Sandy also has some very good intro tutorial which are very easy to follow and ease you into the development of 3d systems.

oh ok thanks!

As for the other things, i do know java(basics) and c++, and for 3d i already know 3dmax, maya and zbrush! but i am not looking to importing models in flash, but rather create some basic 3d objects via code, right inside flash! But thanks, i will read up on sandy3d!

Flash Developer
    I take back my statement about starting with sandy3d. I have been working through the Papervision2 tutorials and that engine is much better then using the other ones. It has a very nice workflow and is incredibly powerful. The tutorial gives you a step by step account starting right from the beginning.

http://papervision2.com/tutorial-list/

n

Student
    if you want to write your own 3d engine give this thread a look:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...73#post4103573
    it tries to simplify a basic engine with texture mapping- the code is also rather short and has no sub-classes and alike complexity.

if you want rather complex things right away and focus more on the visual design part perhaps better have a look at sandy or papervision

I will be learning 2
    Charag - 3D, Flash Games, Animations,
    Website Development & More...