A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash "blinks" between pages?

Flash "blinks" between pages?

this has been stumping me for a long time. Every once in awhile I want to build a css site and use a flash header for animation and navigation. When it comes to the navigation I am loading in another html/css page(that includes the exact same flash movie in the header) for each menu item. When I do this there is a quick "blink" of the flash header movie between pages. I try transparency settings and background color setting to no avail. Why isn't it cached so that the "blink" doesn't occur? You know, if you do the same with a graphic the blink doesn't happen? It would be great if there is a fix for this but if not, I would certainly like to have an explanation so I can stop beating my head against the wall. Thanks!

It's probably just refreshing the flash player.
    Have you tried on different browsers/OS might not be noticeable on all setups.

Also, it depends how you've set up your flash file. Do you have a blank frame or preloader at the start. Try removing anything like that and just have your navigation on the first frame. That way when it get's refreshed it won't go through the blank frame / preloader phase.

Right, I think that it is refreshing something for sure. It is basically a one frame movie made up of a graphic and a few buttons for navigation so there are no blank frames or preload to consider. It seems to act differently on different browsers but is there on every one I've checked. It's just a quick blink of the file between pages but it's annoyingly noticeable compared to graphics that don't change at all between pages (know what I'm saying here?). So, is there no solution? I would think this is something that flash folks know all about but I'm having a tough time finding answers?? Thanks though Ranoka for yours.

If you set your Flash player bg colour (in the html) to the same general colour of the site then the blink should be less noticeable. I think by default it is white.

I'm not really sure if there's much more you can do, I think this blink happens to all people with all Flash apps. To be honest I don't think users notice really, you're going to be more sensitive to it since you're working on it.
    Last edited by ranoka; 11-06-2008 at 10:34 AM.