A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: free program to create VERY basic 3D environments?

participant

free program to create VERY basic 3D environments?

I'm an illustrator working on some interrelated interior scenes. I'd like to create a very simple 3D room as a guide.

All it would need to do is create walls, boxes & columns, and be able to change viewpoints. No shading, texture or odd forms necessary.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by nick616; 11-13-2008 at 10:20 PM.

perfect solution....i've used it for your purposes a few times.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Try Wings 3D. Does the simple things well...

-_-
    Naw. Not Wings. Wings is really a modeler more suited to game art. Use SketchUp, like lefteye said. Its very easy to use, comes with a ton of textures too, and was actually made for creating enviroments.

Quote Originally Posted by goliard
    Try Wings 3D. Does the simple things well...
    Oh NO! not wings!

lol sorry but as a student this was an inside joke as for us who were using Maya a program our teacher for some reason couldnt understand, he forced us to use Wings, which was absolute garbage. For your purpose thou wings is a good modeling tool to set up as reference and perspective of shapes, but if you were to export out your .obj file and bring it into any other 3D software, you can guarentee seeing the ugliest mesh you ever saw, with verticies every which way. Thanks for the sketchup reference ill check that out.

-_-
    Not to argue with you, but Wings is a VERY, VERY, VERY good modeling tool. I work daily with models for games, and I almost exclusively use Wings for modeling anything for games. I use blender of course to animate and texture and UV map, but don't say Wings is a bad tool. It is a good tool. It just is not what he needs. As for vertices, I import objs into Sauerbraten and the Dim3 engine every day, and nothing funny shows up at all. Wings, while it might not be superior to 3DSMax or Maya, which I use as well, it is not a bad program. As I said before, not trying to argue with you.

Interesting Adobemedia. Thats good to hear at least. Sounds like Wings may have improved since I last used it. It's been a few years so there may have been some upgrades. I do remember the geometry being really messed up anytime we imported into maya, or the torque engine we used for game. It's been about 4-5 years since I last used Wings, so im sure there's been some major updates.