A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Help! How to make a butterfly flap & fly at the same time

Exclamation [CS3] Help! How to make a butterfly flap & fly at the same time

Hi, I am working on a website for a client and they wanted to know if I could make a Flash animation of a butterfly flying across the screen while flapping its wings.

I have found a tutorial on how to make wings flap, and I know how to convert the image of the butterfly I want to use into vector art. I've done this, and done the flapping animation by having 3 layers (right wing, left wing, body), then resizing the left and right wings and using motion tween.

But once I get the wings flapping, I can't figure out how to then make the entire butterfly follow a motion guide without the sections separating randomly and generally not doing what I want at all...

Anyone have any tips?

Here's a great resource for you... Answers your question!!!
    http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/vi...op/?id=vid0123

great resource graphician

simple answer though,
    you make all of your flapping butterfly into a movie clip.
    select all the frames and then go to the Modify menu/convert to symbol
    That complete movie clip goes on stage and is animated on its path

graphician - Thanks for the video link, that explains some things about the timeline that I didn't know. But I cannot see how he is switching between viewing all the frames of the movie clip and the entire stage where there's only one layer...

I think I've missed something.

mgason - I've tried that, but when I do so the layers don't merge into one (which it looks like on the tutorial movie, they should??) and when I preview the clip, only one wing of my butterfly moves.

Is there one of those videos maybe that shows exactly step by step how to make a movie clip, convert it, and then get it to move?

The layers do not need to merge into one.
    You can have a bunch of layers inside a movie clip, which has its own complete timeline.

You might need to cut the frames one layer at a time and paste them into a new movie clip. Drag along the frames until they are highlighted then select "cut frames", then go into the new mc and do a "paste frames"
    You can do multiple layers at once, you may need to clear up some excess frames after moving.

I have attached a file, no frills, one basic butterfly!
    download it.
    In the library you will find a mc "wing animate" which has a motion tween of the movie clip wing.
    Body is just a dot.
    On the main timeline is body and 2 copies of the same wing with one flipped.

check it out.
    poke around inside wing animate
    get back to us if you need more help
    Mark
    Last edited by mgason; 01-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.

In addition to gmason's attachment, you said you wanted a butterfly that fly's across the screen. All I did was copy everything on the stage and convert it to a movie clip enabling me to move the entire butterfly at once and enabling me to create a motion tween to create a flying effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks DoubleT06!
    I was in a rush at the office and forgot all about flying across the screen. :-)