A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: God-damn !!

Quote Originally Posted by deepakflash
    Dont tell me the Bible(again)
    I actually suggested a couple of other sources as well. But, since you mention it, yes. I would think that the bible would be a pretty good place to start learning about what the teachings of Christianity are rather than making up fairy tales in your head to knock down on forums. Isn't that the intellectual equivalent of WWF wrestlers ripping their shirts off and mugging for the camera? Awesome!

Sorry, no time for entertainment books.
    You mean no time for learning about a subject you want to debate.

Good luck with that!
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 11-25-2008 at 03:41 AM.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

FlashLackey, I am trying to bring a practical example into light and you keep bringing books.

....making up fairy tales in your head to knock down on forums
    Fairy tales and me?? lol.. the suffering, poverty, diseases are all fairy tales? To which planet do you belong?

What you are basically trying to argue is that nobody can say that God is kind unless someone witnesses him doing something kind.

That isn't practical. That is moronic.

Like I said, you're awesome. That's what you have been after since you started this thread. Do you need to hear it from everyone else as well?

Fairy tales and me?? lol.. the suffering, poverty, diseases are all fairy tales? To which planet do you belong?
    You.Are.Awesome!

You can mark the thread resolved now.

Fairy tales and me??
    Yes. You!

I realize that it's difficult for someone as awesome as you to see. But, since you have admitted that you are actually ignorant of the subject you are debating, your concept of the subject is based on your imagination (ie. fairy tales).

God has to exist to do something. I never said God does it.
    You missed the entire point of my post. Your response quoted above defines God as a janitor cleaning up after us, ignoring the almost universally accepted concept of God as the creator of life. If you can't recognize that as one of the essential and common principles of all monotheistic belief systems, then you have so little understanding of religions and faiths that you are in no position to question why people believe in them. Take a class on world religions.

Sorry, no time for entertainment books.
    You ask a question regarding the existence of God, and questioning why people believe in him (or her), yet you refuse to establish an understanding of the foundations of people's beliefs. That's like writing a paper without doing any research.

Let's put this into perspective, shall we? You start a thread ranting and raving about how people can believe in God when there is injustice in the world, triggered by a tragedy you witnessed. It's a common feeling. Some of us (poorly) attempted to give you an answer. But you clearly weren't interested in one. Your had your mind made up and somehow thought that despite millennia of theological and philosophical debate on the subject, everyone who believes in God is an idiot and is blind to injustice in the world.

You rejected all recommendations to educate yourself to understand why people believe what they do. That, my friend, is called ignorance. I suggest you heed my advice above and find a class on world religions, unless you want to come across as a foaming-at-the mouth idiot on the matter.

hanratty21 , this is not your first time. Gerbs you want this to be ignored again?
    Oh, daddy can't help you now.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Dude, I am not trying to mark this thread resolved. It will be like trying to make the world population speak "one" language.

I am trying to accumulate opinion whoever believes in God. What is that one big sh*t that makes them believe so. So far i couldn't find one tiny crystral except books and beliefs. Since FK is one big desert I hope I find atleast one who can support his/her belief with a genuine point - something practical?
    But, since you have admitted that you are actually ignorant of the subject you are debating, your concept of the subject is based on your imagination
    Whaaat?

What you are basically trying to argue is that nobody can say that God is kind unless someone witnesses him doing something kind.
    Not exactly witness. Atleast he can hide behind a tree and save a drowning infant? alteast bless people who suffer(as in your fairy tale books)

hanratty21 , this is not your first time. Gerbs you want this to be ignored again?
    I am being polite in my question(honestly), but emotional.

I am trying to accumulate opinion whoever believes in God. What is that one big sh*t that makes them believe so. So far i couldn't find one tiny crystral except books and beliefs. Since FK is one big desert I hope I find atleast one who can support his/her belief with a genuine point - something practical?
    No you aren't. Do you seriously think that anyone will believe that this is what you are trying to do? This is nothing more than a springboard for you to draw attention to yourself. You clearly have no genuine interest in learning about religion.

Then again, maybe you have some deep insecurity about religion and this is your "safe" way of learning about it without damaging a fragile ego.

Whaaat?
    Did I stutter?

PAlexC, please dont heat up this thread. My question why people believe in him does have a valid reason behind. Yes, I am being strong at it but I am not trying to bring it all down with no point from my side.

This is nothing more than a springboard for you to draw attention to yourself. You clearly have no genuine interest in learning about religion.
    No interest in religion? I belong to a place where "God and Religion" are like "Heart and Soul" of the country(I dont know why)
    My house is infected with people buzzing God's name 23 hrs per day. You know the money my parents spend in God's name? I could have bought 3 ferraris and 2 lamborghini's with that money.

Being around religion does not qualify you as having genuine interest in this thread. PAlexC said it better than I have already. You've demonstrated that you have a personal agenda and it is not what you claim it to be.

It's a good thing to know that there are kind people like you in the world who would use money wisely on 3 Ferraris and 2 Lamborghinis instead of giving it to a church that will most likely use the money for unkind purposes.

PAlexC, please dont heat up this thread. My question why people believe in him does have a valid reason behind. Yes, I am being strong at it but I am not trying to bring it all down with no point from my side.
    I am far from heating up this thread, I'm trying to point you in the right direction by explaining the distinction between empirical science and faith, that is crucial to the question "How can God exist if he let's bad things happen to us?" That's not coming from me, or from any religious dogma. It a fundamental premise on the well-documented and centuries-long philosophical debate on the manner, which you choose to ignore. Your reaction is to poo-poo every contrary response to your stance.

I've taken multiple classes on world religions and have a minor in philosophy. I've been in classes with plenty of caustic kids like you who think they know better. I've heard comments like yours come from students in these classes. They typically dropped out or failed because they were too arrogant and lazy read, ponder, and take other people's perspectives into account in an effort to answer their questions.

But, if you think you know more than most 19th century theologians and philosophers because you saw a guy get hit by a truck, far be it from me to convince you otherwise.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Flashlackey I like that second para but dude, i wouldn't really buy cars for that money neither give it to the church(for sure)

But, if you think you know more than most 19th century theologians and philosophers because you saw a guy get hit by a truck, far be it from me to convince you otherwise.
    I have no idea about the great philosophers and theologians and the very nice "you" and i wont say that i know everything but i certainly know what my heart feels and which is very true. The guy getting hit by truck is only an example of "ant over elephant".

I've heard comments like yours come from students in these classes. They typically dropped out or failed
    People who bring out questions from heart get dropped out of class? How sad?

PAlexC, Please look at this image and tell me that "God exists and is kind"
    Last edited by deepakflash; 11-25-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Deepak, I just now saw the post that might have offended you; I kindly request that all participants keep the tone away from disrespect. This should be considered an official warning.

And with that said; it's just not Africa, nor is it just right now. People have starved in the past. People will do so in the future.

I get your compassion; however you seem to be unwilling to actually read the Bible. And that defeats the purpose. Religion is for the mind and spirit. You're talking about the physical - and that's when your mind and spirit are in the right place can you affect those that need help via charity and good deeds.

Anyway, let me say this. PAlexC's post was perfect. That perspective is closer to my own. And honestly, I'd rather be doing something than just sitting back, behind a keyboard and doing nothing. You want to change the world, then help the people like in your picture. You'll be amazed that they perhaps exist within 20km of you. There's homeless, sick, starving, mentally sick people everywhere.

You're stuck on this Africa stuff. I've been there. It hurts your heart. It makes you wonder where God is in all of this. But this is the physical... the right now. It's not permanent. Thus... it's escapable. An unkind God would keep it going all the time... sorta like Hell.

Regardless; you're proving to be more emotional than rational and willing to discuss. Like I said earlier; there will be no answer that you will deem worthy unless it comes from you.

So what do you think... God is unkind? Then what's the answer?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I didn't want to put my oar into this one but felt that i should now that its a bit further in.

If God was kind and loved us would he / she / it have let my daughter die when she was born? Thats my question why was it chosen that she should die... sorry but thats just a sore spot for me.

I will let you carry on with your arguements...
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

And following after chris, comes moi. I don't often indulge in 'heated' debates but I'll offer an advice.

It seems you're starting to doubt your faith in god and if that is so, you should seek to replenish yourself with in depth knowledge of your religion. Or for that matter, gather in depth knowledge of as many religion as you can find - with an open mind. And for that matter, I doubt a 100 or 1000 post thread will ever relinquish that thirst of yours.

Oh, and good luck, if you believe in luck that is.