A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

I could use some help. I am familiar with Jugglor and Javi abut just ran into a problem that I have not faced before. i am using JAVI to make a a.vi file play and it works fine with a regular .avi. I got a new .avi file that is a MPEG4 (DIVX) and it only plays the audio, the video is an error screen. Its not the computer becuase the video plays fine from windows ... just not when i access it through my .exe . Any ideas?
    I allready e-mail support at *********** but no reply from them yet.

DivX is a hacked MS MPEG 4 beta codec.. it's not legal to use in anyway.. therefore your on your own if you get sued for distrubuting a DivX movie.. (of course I wouldn't know anything about that)

Not to mention that it must also be installed for JAVI to even play it..

However if I understand the programming behind JAVI it uses the MDI window class feature for playing the movie.. basically if you can play the movie in media player you should be able to play the movie in JAVI

You may not have the DivX codec installed.. you might want to double check..

Video that would work through JAVI on all windows platforms would be MPEG or standard AVI

ok, now you got me scared. The client just gave it to me with the codec... im thinking of refusing that file and asking for regular .avi then.

Thats the funny thing... is that the codec is installed right , (cuz i play it in other programs) but for through JAVI.

What a way to start a week. Illegal software and a bad rash.

DivX is not illegal unless it is an illegally copied from a DVD. Now I can't think of two many other uses for DivX but to play illegally copied DVD's but I am sure that there is some legit reason to use that format

Hey maybe they were legal DivXs?

I think your wrong because it's a hacked codec of microsoft's MPEG 4 and because it uses a hacked mp3 codec (fraunhofer or radum.. one of those)

It is illegal cause it openly admits to hacking both codecs.. basically they tell you it's illegal upfront.. (of course I could be wrong) You can take your chances and see if you get sued or not.. little fish might not get sued but big probally will..

And it's not illegal to copy Dvd's for backup purposes.. you buy the movie you have the right to make backup copy's..

The digital media act of 2000 attempts to make coping DVD's ilegal. The DeCSS case and ruling on it (which was stupid becuase DeCSS does not allow you to make copies of DVD's that are playable on DVD players or the web where as DVD Ripping does) and implications of the courts opinion on it would make it seem that copying DVDs is ilegal.

As far as Div X bieng illegal I have never heard of any such thing. I would imagine if it was then the Div X sites would be shut down... Who knows?

This has a nice article on DivX http://www.ultimateresourcesite.com/divxdeux/main.htm

There was also a nice article in the wall street journal about Div X- there was no mention of it being ilegal.

Okay I looked it up and this is the scoop... DivX is illegal but DivX 2 is legal here is an article on it http://www.salonmag.com/tech/log/2000/09/28/divx_redux/

oic

thanks.... thats good to know!

Mabes its this

hey their have been several versions of the DivX coded released- in the case of the newest release (forget which v)movies ripped with the newest, being played with the next most recent version only show video, but dont play audio.

Also I forgot to mention this but DivX 2 is a QT not a MS media player format.

Unaffiliated deity.

You people know nothing about DivX!

People, please don't post on topics you know nothing about. The DivX codec has not included hacked or illegal code since version 3.11 (at least 2 years ago). It is totally legal to use any version above 3.11, and even if it weren't, it would be DivX Networks that got into copyright trouble, not the end users. No company could afford to go after all the end users even if they wanted to. The DivX codec currently runs on ALL platforms. No version of the DivX codec is specific to Macintosh or Quicktime movies. A codec runs in conjunction with any media player that supports the format that is using said codec. DivX follows the MPEG4 standards and recently, several other codecs have emerged to compete with DivX, XviD being the most popular due to a supposedly strict adherence to MPEG4 standards and a totally open source codebase. It's a tough call to say whether DivX or XviD is the better codec at this point, but my vote goes to DivX for consistency and ease of use. Currently, there is no better codec (considering quality versus filesize) for compressing video for AVI file distribution. Quicktime looks great, but doesn't come anywhere near the compression without using the DivX codec and it remains as buggy as ever, even on the Mac. Cinepack, Sorenson and all the rest are WAY behind the curve. Anything else you want to know about DivX can be found at the following sites:

http://www.divx.com
    http://www.doom9.org
    http://www.divx-digest.com
    Nowhere does science promise emancipation.

Wow, thats an old posting.

Just clarfiy.

Use JMovie instead of JAvi, as JAvi has it's own built in Avi player. JMovie uses the Window Media Player to play movies. So you will need JMovie.

http://jmovie.***********.com

Minorgod;

You do realize you were responding to a thread that is over 2 and 1/2 years old, right? Since they were discussing the first 2 versions of DivX, the information was correct at the time.

For all those following along at home: Minorgod is correct, but so were the original posts. Look at the post dates...
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Or as Homer Simpson would say, "Doh!"