A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photo for Wall Request!

Photo for Wall Request!

I am happy to say I got another request for one of my fog/bridge photos.
    Not sure how I should handle this. If it's on a wall and is a permanent fixture, how would I license this out? This request is from an arcutecture company in the midwest.

Here is the request:

"'I'm working on some graphics for a project here at ******* and came across one of your photos**** We would like it in sepia tone.

Assuming we would have to purchase the rights to use it, could I get a ballpark estimate of cost from you? The image would be blown up and cropped to fit a wall that is 9'6"; tall x 15'10.75"; wide. Please let me know if you need any further information."

Any suggestions from your Pros?

More:

So far the graphics person just wants a quote.
    And they have not yet decided if the photo would be permanent yet. In a nutshell, it's a graphic applied to a wall just like an art piece. There will be a little covering the wall like fabric and chairs. The sepia colors will match the room. It will look like they are looking out of the room.

I just realize the person requesting it made the photo sepia. So they downloaded it and changed it before asking me. How would you feel about that. Am I being anal?

Also, should I expect credit for it when its hanging on the wall; you know recognition... Or should I leave it alone.

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by An Artist; 12-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by An Artist
    I just realize the person requesting it made the photo sepia. So they downloaded it and changed it before asking me. How would you feel about that. Am I being anal?
    If this doesn't bother you then I'm gonna have to insist you change your username.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Quote Originally Posted by An Artist

Also, should I expect credit for it when its hanging on the wall; you know recognition... Or should I leave it alone.

Thanks for all of your help.

No. You are not being anal at all but let them know that if they want any "changes" to it that you'll do it. Be firm but very nice about it!

Yes. You should expect credit in the form of your name in some small out of the way but visible area of the photo. You should add that yourself.

You are selling them the image but not the copyright.
    People may buy it and own it but it is and will always be your work.
    “Let no machine defeat you because you are human. The human mind is a mix of complications, doubts and lunacy. Machines use logic therefore they are not fit to compete against us!!” Hidef1080 2008...... (mental patient)

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Professionally:
    The end user normally is given rights to make comps/layouts initial changes to see if the image is right before purchase, as long as they do not use the image for its final end purpose without purchasing a license agreement. This is usually granted via a comp license which bigger stock companies tend to offer but most designers work by.

This comp license allows the end user to find the right image for them like selecting a range of images but finally deciding on one and purchasing it but disgarding the rest (best for all parties).

I understand your reluctance with the fact some users will just take the image and not pay for it. But note if they ripped the image off the internet then the quality I presume is not going to be fit for purpose for a wall mount (unless your uploading the RAW) plus the fact they have contacted you to request a price for use shows the intent to pay, so going in heavy handed stipulating that they should not of touched the image without consent will probably get their backs up and lose you a sale.

Get over it, yes ideally people would ask before use, just be happy they are considering to buy rights.

Options:
    Sell them limited rights via a fixed royalty fee to use but retain the image copyright, cheaper for them and allows you to do what you wish with the image also.

Sell them exclusive rights via a fixed royalty fee but retain copyright, more expensive for them but allows you to still reference it as your work but not to sell on again.

Sell the copyright, you lose your rights for the image (unless you add it into the licence) and they gain full ownership.

You can also add to the license edit and manipulation rights, this can increment the photos value also or sell them a license for an image prep'd to spec.

In the end quote a price your happy with, with the limitation (or not) your happy to let it go for for that price.

Its a big area to discuss licensing, royalties and pricing accordingly which can open a minefield of debate over rights and wrongs, in the end you need to go with what your happy with but more importantly what will make the best sale, as after all its all about MONEY!

O and yes your being anal
    Last edited by 1stbite; 12-05-2008 at 05:37 AM.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!