A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Working on Mac, need to open DOC from projector for PC

Question Working on Mac, need to open DOC from projector for PC

Hi All! I have read many posts about this same problem, but so many tell me to download proxy and other programs that are only for the PC. How can I make this work from my mac?

I have a flash file, the CD will have both the EXE and the APP on it for cross-platform workings. There are 5 DOC files that are on the CD that need to be accessed from the exe and app. How can I do this when all coding has to be done from a mac?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Your choices are pretty much limited to (a) use getURL to open the file or (b) EXEC an application (AppleScript) that will open the DOC file. Both solutions require that the user has an application isntalled that is capable of opening/rendering DOC files.

Get URL will work? I tried that and it opened Word, but did not open the actual document. Why would it do that?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I think I misread your post...

You're doing the coding on a Mac but you need to get this working on a PC? If that's right then my proxy tool and a BAT file is exactly what you need

All you have to do is make sure that the EXE is not corrupted when you burn your CD on the Mac.

There's a great tutorial on burning cross-platform CD's by Radina Matic (DiDi) that you can find at http://usuarios.lycos.es/didinomade/...BurningFAQ.htm

If you have access to a PC then you can test this without using my proxy tool. Just create a BAT file (it's just a text file) called document1.bat that contains the following:

Code:
    start document1.doc
    Then you can use fscommand("exec", "document1.bat") to run the BAT file. The BAT file and the DOC file should be in the fscommand folder.

If you get that working just change the fscommand to fscommand("exec", "document1.exe") and put a copy of proxy.exe in the fscommand folder and rename it to document1.exe.