A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally buying a car, need help deciding

Finally buying a car, need help deciding

Hey guys, I didn't want to buy an iphone for xmas, so I decided to buy a car instead it's going to be my very first car ever, so I'm pretty excited about it

I've narrowed my options to the nissan tiida sedan ( http://www.nissan-tiida.com/ ) and the volkswagen jetta ( http://www.vw.com/jetta/en/us/ ), but now I'm not sure which one is better, as I know nothing about cars. I quick search in google says the tiida is better (faster, lighter, more features).

Which one would you choose?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Jetta 100%. No doubt about it.

Resale value on Jetta's are much bigger than nissans. And just the looks alone compared to that ugly ass Tiida should be a deciding factor.

Jetta. I actually miss mine. Surprised you're not looking at a Seat coupe.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Research your market first, how many Jettas <> How many Nissans

the more of a certain brand, the cheaper the parts, and the labor as well

also from experience, Japanese cars handle hot weather a lot better, remember I live in the desert here and all taxi cars are either Toyotas or Nissans, they handle very well with the AC cranked to the max all the day

Now Jettas are cool, hands down, but how much are the parts and the workshops, are they experienced with one model over the other??

as for a resale value, hit the classifieds, and check how much do both cars sell for after a few years of consumption.

take your time and do your homework, it's the second most expensive investment in your life after buying a home and getting your Brazilian butt lift operation.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    I have a reservation on a Smart car. But beyond that, I'd have to vote for the Jetta as well. Real fun to drive around. 6-speed transmission is a must!

Previous Jetta owners tend to fall into one of two categories. The ones that loved and miss their car, and the others who claim it was nothing but problems. This, I believe, it's the reason that it consistently ends up on the Consumer Reports list of cars to NOT own each and every year.
    http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...rs-70313.shtml
    Personally, I'd go for the Nissan, purely for reliability. That model is the same as the Versa in the US. I've met a few people with them...all seem to like it (hatchback version.)
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Japanese cars are boring and ugly, get a VW.

*Waits for the bombardment to start*

I can't say that I know much about the Nissan. And I have not owned a VW (and never will). But, I can confirm via observation what HR points out. Every VW I've been a passenger in over the last several years looked like something that might have seemed nice off the lot, but promptly fell apart afterward.

I think you should get a Toyota. But, definitely not any VW. They're the GAP of cars, imo.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Wait. You're not buying this car new, are you?

*shakes head*

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Wait. You're not buying this car new, are you?

*shakes head*
    Ok. Now I'm confused. Huh?

Confused at what? Buying a new car off the lot as your first car is one of the single worst personal finance decisions that anyone ever makes in their life. Buy a used one (same model - a few years old), save yourself at least 1/3 of the price, cut your insurance payments in half and rest easy...it'll probably still be under warranty for a few more years and you'll keep cash in your pocket.

^^ these are wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Confused at what? Buying a new car off the lot as your first car is one of the single worst personal finance decisions that anyone ever makes in their life. Buy a used one (same model - a few years old), save yourself at least 1/3 of the price, cut your insurance payments in half and rest easy...it'll probably still be under warranty for a few more years and you'll keep cash in your pocket.
    Ah, I thought you were talking about the VW still. Thought you knew something in regards to bad workmanship or something.

Yeah I'm buying it new. Over here there's been rumors that banks are having problems, and the president might put some harsh economic measures, so I thought it was best to have something that I can sell at some point if needed.

There are not many options to choose from, and those two cars are the best ones in the price range I can pay. The used cars market over here isn't too good, they are sold at very high prices (if you want something that doesn't give any trouble, you have to pay about $12000)...at those prices, it's really better to buy a new car. I was going for the Nissan Sentra, which I know is a very very very reliable car and nice to drive, cheap (at least over here) at $13000, but when I looked at it, that car looks really old, no electric windows or locks...it felt like an old car. So the next best options are the Hyundai gets and VW Goal ($16000 for any), but then I thought that if I'm going to spend so much money, I should try to buy the nicest car I can, and I'm limited to the Jetta or the Tiida.

The thing I like about the Tiida Sedan is that it is huge inside, and it seems to be more elegant that the Jetta. Though the black Jetta I was looking at is stunning. Right now I'm trying to find out which one is a better car in terms of maintenance, parts, technical features, and I'm really getting tired of that, I think I'll buy a couple of macs instead and have a nice xmas
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    Yeah I'm buying it new. Over here there's been rumors that banks are having problems, and the president might put some harsh economic measures, so I thought it was best to have something that I can sell at some point if needed.
    Cash is always king. Save some, buy used, and be smart.

well, actually, I've given it some thought, and if I buy a new car, it'd be a Nissan Sentra ($13000), but I just got an offer for a 2007 Toyota Yaris from a friend ($11000).

I was thinking that I there's a lot of hidden costs: maintenance, parking, gas, insurance...they won't be that much, but I need to have some extra money for all those things. Also, the psychological factor: if I have an expensive car, it'll cost me more to be confident driving it, while a cheap/old car, I just wouldn't care making mistakes or even hitting the car against walls...

so, I'm going cheap, and probably give myself a nice vacation as well.

Thanks for your help guys.

Btw, a friend that is a car nerd told me that if I wanted the Jetta or Tiida, the Tiida is better than the Jetta.
    Sponsored by your mom.

OK, let me start off by saying this Xterra is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a vehicle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Nissan would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly.

It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you had your eye on. It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things. No, that's what your Prius is for. If that's the kind of car you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This car was engineered by 3rd degree ninja super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated leather seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or On Star (real men don't even know what the hell On Star is).

No, this brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has a 265 HP engine to outrun the cops. It's got special blood/gore resistant upholstery. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. The Xterra also has an automatic transmission so if you're being chased by Libyan terrorists, you'll still be able to shoot your machine gun out the window and drive at the same time. It's saved my bacon more than once.

It has room for you and the four hotties you picked up on the way to the gym to blast your pecs and hammer your glutes. There's a tow hitch to pull your 50 caliber anti-Taliban, self cooling machine gun. I also just put in a new windshield to replace the one that got shot out by The Man.

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $12,900, but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $5,000 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's only 69,000 miles on this four-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then contact me. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my ladies, but I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

To sweeten the deal a little, I'm throwing in this pair of MC Hammer pants for the man with rippling quads that can't fit into regular pants. Yeah, you heard me. FREE MC Hammer pants.

Rock on.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    ...VW...they're the GAP of cars, imo.
    That's probably quite accurate.

Get an Audi, they're the Banana Republic of cars?

No. They're more like Hot Topic.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I'm pretty sure that's a hearse.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.