A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Shaky animation

Shaky animation

When I make a movie the animation is shaky/shivering.

What I do:
    I set the speed of the movie to 30 fps.
    I draw a filled circle and add a keyframe.
    I add a second keyframe and move the circle to the right.
    I have tried different settings for the number of tweens between the keyframes. High, low, it does not matter.

When I play the animation it is like the tweens catched a cold. The general movement is smooth. The object itself is shivering/ghosting allong the way. Don't know what to call it.

The response time of the monitor is 2ms. That should be fast enough to prevent some kind of tearing.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    I suggest you post the fun file and swf.

The files

Here they are.

The files should be in the attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's a problem that is related to the Flash Player.
    The framerate for a swf movie is always an indication but never the exact rate it is played at. As far as I know it's not possible to keep the framerate of a swf movie and the refresh rate of the monitor in sync.

Try using 60 tweens and setting your movie speed to 60 fps. It looked a little better for me.

This is my first experience with developing flash. Appearantly an animation looks well when it looks well. Not when logically it should look well.
    Just to keep live simple I guess

Quote Originally Posted by 3PO View Post
    This is my first experience with developing flash. Appearantly an animation looks well when it looks well. Not when logically it should look well.
    Just to keep live simple I guess
    Agreed!...when it comes to displaying animations the rules of video and film no longer apply because you have a CPU that has to handle not only the animation , but other processes as well. According to the AS3 Language Reference on the frameRate property for the Stage, sometimes the target platform will even lower the max frameRate if the CPU anticipates high usage.

You can also manipulate frame rate with ActionScript, particularly if the application is large and complex. But I think its better to stick with the Koolmoves tools if you are just starting.