A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS4] Feeling a Bit Overwhelmed

[CS4] Feeling a Bit Overwhelmed

Hi guys,

I posted a question in the flash beginner's section and it was promptly answered. After playing with the suggestions to my question, I decided to have a look around flashkit. I did some random clicking, reviewed a few random tutorials found on other sites (suggested by FK members) and came back feeling like developing this website will take a year or more.

I have no previous web design experience, but I'm a (3D) game designer. I've watched tutorials on Flash CS4 and know the basics (motion/shape tweening, symbols, editing properties, etc). My tutorials never really covered Publishing or ActionScript 3.0. Most of the internet is comprised of people who previously knew AS 2.0 and were learning about the changes to AS 3.0, which doesn't help me at all.

I also ran across a few helpful posts for other questions, and they said you needed to use XHTML to get any hits from search engines. I'm thinking "Great, now I have to learn this XHTML in addition to Flash?" I also think I've come to the understanding that there's no way I'll get through building this website without learning a substantial amount of AS3.

Aside from simply complaining, I have a question. What's the best way, short of a classroom, to learn how to build animated ("rich?") websites with Flash? What programs will I need to learn in conjunction with flash to make my site viewable by all browsers/retrieveable by search engines?

I have considered just paying someone to build my website, but I also need to learn flash for the game's HUD. If I can learn how to do it myself it will save me a lot of money in the long run.

1.) to have your site 'searchable'..then you wouldnt want to use Flash really.. or.. use flash elements embeded into your HTML page..with the rest of the content regular HTML code/content

2.) Why are you stuck on this AS3 thing? I dont know any AS3 at all..and I can pretty much create anything I want...

I would say that a decent understanding of XML (its nothing more than a way to store data to load/use in Flash)...makes things easier to updated/edit without having to edit your flash movie..if you want to make your site more 'interactive' with any special features (sending email form contact forms, saving images, uploading images..etc)...then a basic understanding of PHP would help..

I only know as much PHp as it relates to my needs in Flash..nothing more really..

I always suggest learning things on your own.. saves money.

if my footer however.. are some link that are fairly basic..and knowing them will give youa decent foundation to work from..

loading images, loading text...etc..etc