A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: File / Print = pdf (instead of what's on screen)

Code Monkey

File / Print = pdf (instead of what's on screen)

Hey all,

I'm doing a little research on Printing a site that contains flash (or is all flash). What I'm looking for is any information or even a nudge in the right direction about this functionality:

When a user visits a site, they select "File / Print..." from their browser and, rather than printing what's visible on the screen, they print a pdf (with preformatted information). It was explained to me as similar to the experience when a user visits a Flash site (using SWFObject) from Firefox and chooses to "Disable all Javascript" and alternate information shows instead of the Flash.

I guess, I may be asking how can the Print feature on the user's browser be set from Flash? Does this even make sense? if you're wondering about the reasoning behind all this, it is for accessibility.

Thanks in advance for any advice & nudges in the right direction.

-K =]
    100 posts until an avatar...

Will moderate for beer
    Definitely not as easy as you were hoping for, but you can use AlivePDF to generate a PDF file through actionscript.
    http://alivepdf.bytearray.org/

Once you have that, you can allow the user to save it with the FileReference class.

Or have I completely misinterpreted you?

Code Monkey

Wow... I totally misinterpreted what my task was...

5TonsOfFlax, thanks for the reply.

I totally misinterpreted what my task was... It turns out that what was being asked of me was actually an interactive PDF. They want to be able to take a semi-standard pdf file (text, images with a couple of SWF elements embedded in it) and, when printed, prints alternate content than a screen capture of the SWF.

I'm going to do some research now with Acrobat & Flash CS4. If anyone's gone though this already and give me some tips, that'd be great!

Thanks again for any & all responses!

-K =]
    100 posts until an avatar...