A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Saving Variables for Mobile Devices

Saving Variables for Mobile Devices

I don't know if this is the correct area to post this question. Sorry if I placed it in the wrong section.

I am building a program for Mobile Phones that needs to save variables locally, I tried using shared objects, but Mobile phones do not have the directory structure necessary for shared objects.

I have spent several hours searching the internet for information on how to save vars in other ways, but it seems that the only other way is to have the app talk to an online database via php/java. which is not only un-necessary because the only person who would ever need to access the variable data is the individual user, but has several other disadvantages like: waaaay too much work. Also Mobile Phones requesting access to the web via Player7 at the user's request (I don't know if it's even possible), and if that hurdle can be overcome, having to store a bunch of user data that will be updated regularly (when any of the 14 variables change through user input) online with mysql or something else. Not to mention thousands of potential users who have to pay per MB of data through their (non)data plans.

Is there any way possible to save vars on a Mobile Device locally, or is this just a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance for any input.

have a look of it:

http://mobile.actionscript.it/document.cfm?id=23

regards

marlopax

Thanx Marlopax

Unfortunately this application will be for newer gen smartphones that run player 7. I don't think I can publish in FlashLite and have it work correctly on these types of phones (as far as I can tell). Any other Suggestions?

Flash Lite 2.x is based upon Flash 7, Flash Lite 3.x is based upon Flash 9.

You can use mobile shared objects to store information on phones using these types of Flash Lite players.

The only other alternative is to use a native application that interfaces with Flash Lite through a local server to save data locally, as Flash does not have this kind of api. This option is really only available at this time for Nokia s60 with something like KuneriLite.

You need to access the OS.

Thus, you need a Flash Lite Plugin like Janus-Flash for WM, or Kunerilite for Symbian to do so.

"Any other Suggestions?"
    If Flash Lite alone doesn't allow to store data, there is no other suggestion :-)

I thought the Shared Object class was working ?? Never tried it though :-)