A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Lite 3.1 vs Flash 7 for PPC - Performance

Question Flash Lite 3.1 vs Flash 7 for PPC - Performance

Hi,

We are using Flash as the presentation layer for one of the applications we are developing (for WM5 device). The "rest" of the code is being written in C# CF. We have tested it with Flash Player 7 installed onto the device and it worked as expected but the performance was poor.

I was wondering, as Flash Lite 3.1 is a much newer player, if it would have more optimizations to run smoothly on that sort of device (ARM Processor).

I tried to find any benchmark on the internet which would compares Flash Lite 3.1 and Flash 7 for PPC, but I had no joy.

I imagine Flash Lite 3.1 being MUCH faster than that old Flash 7 for PPC.

As far as I know now I can have Flash Lite 3.1 installed on the device, just like we can with Flash 7 for PPC. Am I right in saying that?

Flash Lite have always had issues with licensing...

Hope 3.1 doesn't have those limitations.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Adobe is working on the distributable version of Flash Lite 3.1 for "select" windows mobile devices. This option allows you to distribute your Flash application and the Flash Lite "run time" in a single installer. This is a free option for developers and is a prelude to the mobile version of AIR.

My guess is that Flash Lite would be more optimized but you may need to wait until the distributable comes out of private beta to know the best way to integrate with a native application on the phone.

Personally, I would not get to invested in Flash 7 for PPC because Adobe may remove that option from the web site once the distributable comes along.

Flash Lite 3.1 is not available as a standalone player on Windows Mobile device.

It is only available as a browser plugin.

If you need to use your C# code, you need to bind Flash Lite with WM.

We used Janus-Flash to do so.

Flash Lite 2.1 is the best standalone player available on Windows Mobile.
    And it is incredibly faster than the older Flash 7 browser plugin.

"As far as I know now I can have Flash Lite 3.1 installed on the device, just like we can with Flash 7 for PPC. Am I right in saying that?"
    You mean Flash Lite 2.1 > http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html

The link is currently dead, but Flash Lite 2.1 standalone player can be easily found on the net.

"Hope 3.1 doesn't have those limitations."
    Flash Lite 3.1 is only available on Nokia phone !

Here is information about the Flash Lite 3.1 distributable standalone player (currently in beta) for Windows Mobile and Nokia series 60.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/...tml?navID=sell

Private beta <<<

It is restricted to some countries : USA, Spain, Italy ...

I'm from France -_-'

They will eventually release it for more markets as they get carrier approval for the over the air installation of the standalone player.

Help needed

Hi everybody,

When I saw you question I couldn't resist to ask you this, do you know where I may learn how to use flash and C# to windows mobile 6. I need to develop a program in c# and I want to show some flash code but I don't have idea how to do it if you know where I can find some tutorial or send me some simple example I will be really thank full best regards.

David
    Edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jfbaro View Post
    Hi,

We are using Flash as the presentation layer for one of the applications we are developing (for WM5 device). The "rest" of the code is being written in C# CF. We have tested it with Flash Player 7 installed onto the device and it worked as expected but the performance was poor.

I was wondering, as Flash Lite 3.1 is a much newer player, if it would have more optimizations to run smoothly on that sort of device (ARM Processor).

I tried to find any benchmark on the internet which would compares Flash Lite 3.1 and Flash 7 for PPC, but I had no joy.

I imagine Flash Lite 3.1 being MUCH faster than that old Flash 7 for PPC.

As far as I know now I can have Flash Lite 3.1 installed on the device, just like we can with Flash 7 for PPC. Am I right in saying that?

Flash Lite have always had issues with licensing...

Hope 3.1 doesn't have those limitations.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

install flash lite to Embedded device

Hi
    We are also using Flash as the presentation layer for one of the applications we are developing GUI for medical device. The "rest" of the code is being written in C++.
    I want to know how .SWF file can run on device to display it on LCD.
    How we can port Flash LIte 2.1 on device.