A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Slider & Component basic scripting

Slider & Component basic scripting

Ok, here's a real simple one, I know. But I just can't seem to figure out how it works. Anyway, I want to begin using KM components, particularly the slider. I want users to slide the slider up and down to different frames in the movie... Simple enough. Problem is I'm having trouble finding how to start with the code.

I know in properties under behavior the onmove function is listed. I bring up the the script editor, go to components/flash 8/slider and then see the scripting options to choose from. But I'm not getting anything to work.

Do I exclude the onMove and just start with getVaue? Do I need to start with setSlider? Tried quite a few scenarios and haven't gotten the slider to advance the movie at all. (just a 5 simple frames and a couple of shapes).

Anyway, can someone just point out how I get started with the component scripting (maybe a simple slider example). I think once I get started I'll be ok. Have looked through examples and instructions, but hasn't dawned on me yet. Also if you could include some place where I could get further help for future that'd be great! (I think maybe I've been looking in the wrong locations).

thanks guys

Super Moderator
    I'll let Wilbert address this question.

I think Wilbert will agree that it would be better to use AS3 components (Flash 9/10) rather than AS1 components (Flash 8).

Wilbert can probably provide a little code to get you going.

There's an example for the flash 8 components in the folder
    /Program Files (x86)/KoolMoves/Examples/Components/Flash 8/Examples/Color Sliders

But I agree with Bob, that it is always best to use the AS3 components.
    The code of the components is better, they are better documented and you can choose from a few different skins to change the look of the components.

Just Too Fast (but that's good)

Hey guys hadn't expected a reply that fast. (but don't stop, I mean that's a good thing). Kind of in between right now but will be back on the project shortly. Just wanted let you know appreciate the support in the interim. Will give update soon.

(next time will ck back every couple hours or so)

Thnx
    Millennium

Hey since there really isn't a "slider" component you could use something like the one in minimalcomps http://www.minimalcomps.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

For the KM AS3 components, there's the ScrollBar component.
    But minimalcomps are another solution. Being able to use such packages is one of the advantages of using AS3.

Wilbert, I didn't see an easy way to code the Scrollbar at first but here's an example for him using that as well...

NOTE: I did notice that when I drag the scroller I was unable to ever get to the 2nd frame.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ah figured it out... Had to round the scroll bar value as when I drag it I was getting fractional numbers

coding is progressing

Hey guys, thanks for the direction. My coding is beginning to progress substantially. Blanus, particularly appreciate your help, but unfortunately I wasn't able to pull up your sample because I don't have that version of KM (I have the Serif edition). But that's ok because I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version anytime now (as long as it has the bluewave interface bug fix included).

...So I'll be checking back in soon. You guys are great, and I have to say that is part of the appeal of KM. Not only is it a sound, logical and intuitive design but its help support experts are really a great team.

Talk back soon
    Millennium

Quote Originally Posted by MillenniumMagic View Post
    But that's ok because I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version anytime now (as long as it has the bluewave interface bug fix included).
    What bug is that?

Super Moderator
    There wasn't a bug in the bluewave interface. It was a bug in the software associated with morphing. It was fixed in 8.1.1.