A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DISC][WiP] Koi

[DISC][WiP] Koi

So I whipped up a small little prototype the other night, which I think I want to make into a game, but I'm a bit iffy as to where to go with it.

-arrow keys to move
    -click to place the second player (goes inside the white)
    -WASD moves player 2 (sorry AZERTY boards...)
    -you might have to click to get focus...
    *note, this wasn't actually programmed specifically for 2 people, "player 2" is just an arbitrary title. Although, I suppose you could try it with two if you want.

player two can only move around inside white and its physics work a bit differently from the koi.

levels are randomly generated, just refresh if you get a bad one.

http://ian.janasnyder.com/BWproto.htm

This is all done using draw functions in mx04, mind you.

So, I'm not sure where I want to go with this in regards to gameplay gameplay. I like the concept of moving player 1 and 2 and how they have to balance to each others movements to get anywhere, but I'm afraid it's not as fun as I'd like, which could be made up for if I've got some good puzzles, but I think this may be a concept that only goes so far.

So I'd be interested to hear any suggestions you guys might have, including anything that would radically change the gameplay. I'm open.

Student
    it has a nice style - so far it reminded me of

and

more like a relaxing game- where atmosphere and style are far more important as mission goals.

The ambiance reminded me of flOw ( http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/ )
    Maybe it can be a source of inspiration for the game.
    I agree with the suggestion of renderhjs, a "relaxing game" with beautiful effects and why not background music that adapts to the action.

Actually I didn't understand the relation between the shark and the red dot ?

very nice the flow game, not saying you should do a snake game.
    try to be original.
    Edit: so it is a game, I don't understand what to do? the red circle has to go some place??
    I understand how the circle and the fish interact in the enviornment.
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 01-20-2009 at 02:47 AM.

I'd get pissed off if I posted, wanting suggestions, and people just told me what my came compared to, or was like...or what it shouldn't be like.

Personally, I LOVE the style, and how the white walls are parallaxed! It REALLY gives a nice effect to it! I also like your idea of having the red ball. The only thing I can mention is to fix the hitTesting physics of it, and maybe change it so that it rolls around, like the shark? Or nevermind, it could be interesting the way it is right now!

Instead of clicking inside the white space to put the ball there, I think that you should need to drive up with the shark, and insert it in a specific point. Then, the walls create some sort of maze, right? Well, to get the ball around, you need to drive your shark around too, so that would also restrict the places the ball can go (a good thing). You can use the ball to unlock certain walls, or doors and such?

For the shark, I think it should eat little fish, that count as points. To go with the atmosphere, you should have some sort of fans as an obstacle. you could go with some cool bubble effects coming from them, and they slowly push the shark away or something...

That's my input, but you go your own way! I'm really liking it so far!

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

I think you can develope something with the Fish, and ditch the walls for some other type of game. Something relaxing and Zen-like, where you just swim around...

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I agree with Ray, I didnt like the ball side of it but the overall style and the fish are great. I think your over complicating things with the ball, just swimming round an abstract world perhaps collecting food to level up while avoiding enemies but done in a very slow paced relaxing way would be cool. You have a very nice basis here, keep playing with it .

Ali

@ Render Thanks! I haven't actually played either of those though. I will say that Rez has been on my to-play list for a while though.

@ jp Yeah, the atmospheric parallels can definitely be made to flOw. I do however think my game's intent is something else entirely.

From people I've shown the game to in real life, nobody really seems to get the dot. I think it uses a cool concept, but it's just too much for this game.

@ never_land it's not exactly a game quite yet, just a work in progress.

@ Pazil Thanks, if I kept the ball in, it could have real physics in the final version, and probably would be something more imaginative and lively than a ball. I do find your idea about the fish moving up to the wall to place the ball interesting though, maybe if there's a building it needs to get to, the fish could walk up and grab it in it's mouth and take it there, so you'll always have to find a good insertion point.

@ Ray I think the walls are a big part of the experience, they evoke a certain emotion for me that seems to go well with the fish. It's hard to explain in words. I'd be interested to hear a bit more on why you think I should ditch the walls.

@ allilm Thanks, I'm definitely thinking right now that the ball is too much. I think my main qualm right now with the game is that there isn't much compelling for the fish to do. I know I don't want to let it slip into an "eat these, avoid these" type of game because I think it has potential for more than that.

To me, and I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts on this, the game seems to convey a real sense of loneliness. It has a very zen-like atmosphere, but the stark white buildings against a black abyss makes me want to swim through the city until I find some life other than me. Maybe this could be the point of the game, but in such a way to where it's not just random wanderings, but an actual search.

EDIT: slight update, I added some particles to give it some depth and make it feel more like being underwater, also removed the ball and expanded the city a bit.

http://ian.janasnyder.com/BWproto.htm
    Last edited by Captain_404; 01-20-2009 at 07:11 PM.

I completely agree with the white walls! I also felt like swimming in a lonely ocean...maybe base the storyline on a mysterious planet, where weird metal mazes/buildings were built a long long long time ago / post-apocalyptic (just don't make it cheesy), and the fish doesn't know why it was put there (make the fish have a conscience). Then first have the fish just collecting simple things / maintenance of sorts...you know...just...stuff, and then in one level suddenly have some sparkly thing that the fish will chase, and then build on from there or something...

That's my idea for a story!

In terms of the engine, the particles add a lot! It feels as if I'm moving a lot more. Just a note on movement, if you go vertical and horizontal at the same time, then you go faster than just going in one direction...just minor fixes for that...

Your idea of a search, yes, it's cool, but make it a storyline search, not literal, since the players might not be patient enough to keep wandering through the city just searching for one thing...(IMO)

Keep it going! It's actually really fascinating!

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

This looks amazing and the music is good too. Very relaxing.