A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FK braintrust help...(accelerometers)

FK braintrust help...(accelerometers)

Im in need of the collective brain trust here at FK..

Im looking for toys/products...etc that made use of an accelerometer.. PRE-1999

If you dont know what an accelerometer is.. its a chip that uses voltage/gravity to detect the force/angle/speed/motion of itself..

the Wii makes use an accelerometer in fact..

anything you got..thanks

PowerGlove
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

is that the Nintendo powerglove?

just looking for the right stuff to google, since no linky!

BAH... debunked:

the Power Glove did not use accelerometers. It used ultrasound to triangulate the position of the glove relative to the tv. Two ultrasound transmitters in the glove communicated with 2 sensors in an "L-bar" on top of the TV to locate the glove in 3D space

I'd almost swear that the Sega VR headset - never produced - did. It was around '93 or so.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    BAH... debunked:
    Ah! .. good to know. It always felt like it was. Nintendo was way forward at that time and still is today.

Having the accelerometer chip pre-1999?
    Maybe some trowing your laptop away and hope that the hardrive locks before it hits the grown type of game?

Maybe small controlled airplanes had accelerometer for better handling?

Types of accelerometers

* 3-Axis Accelerometer data logger - SENSR[1]
    * Piezo-film or piezoelectric sensor - PCB Piezotronics, IMI Sensors[31]
    * Shear Mode Accelerometer — PCB Piezotronics IMI Sensors[31],Connection Technology Center,
    * Surface Micromachined Capacitive (MEMS) — Analog Devices, Freescale, Honeywell, PCB Piezotronics, Systron Donner Inertial (BEI)
    * Thermal (submicrometre CMOS process) — MEMSIC
    * Bulk Micromachined Capacitive — VTI Technologies, Colibrys
    * Bulk Micromachined Piezo Resistive
    * Capacitive Spring Mass Based - Rieker Inc
    * Electromechanical Servo (Servo Force Balance)
    * Null-balance
    * Strain gauge - Endevco, PCB Piezotronics
    * Resonance
    * Magnetic induction
    * Optical
    * Surface acoustic wave (SAW)
    * Laser accelerometer
    * [DC Response] - PCB Piezotronics, Endevco
    * High Temperature - PCB Piezotronics, Connection Technology Center
    * Low Frequency - PCB Piezotronics, Connection Technology Center, Endevco, Kistler
    * High Gravity - Connection Technology Center
    * 4-20 mA Loop Power - PCB Piezotronics, Connection Technology Center
    * Triaxial - PCB Piezotronics, Connection Technology Center, Endevco
    * Modally Tuned Impact Hammers - PCB Piezotronics, IMI Sensors[31], IMI Sensors
    * Seat Pad Accelerometers - PCB Piezotronics, Larson Davis
    * PIGA accelerometer - Pendulating Integrating Gyroscopic Accelerometer.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

The Slam Man might have one, but I'm not sure if it's pre-1999. Sporting equipment is your best bet. Like punching bags, etc.

A lot of the toys that you think use an accelerometer are nothing more that a steel ball that moves inside a box with contacts on the side opposite of the desired direction (that or a hinged contact). So, it's just a momentary switch that gives no real information other than "on" or "off." A good example is some earlier video game fishing rods.

Actually, some electronic handheld fishing games might contain an accelerometer for accuracy.
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 01-19-2009 at 12:45 PM.

There is a mention of the Sega fishing controller using an accelerometer here...

http://www.gamearena.com.au/wii/game...php?id=4678393
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I opened my Sega controller up and there's something rattling around, so I don't think it's the really accurate spring type (just the contact type I mentioned above).

If you don't mind me asking, are you looking for an accelerometer for a specific application project or just doing general research on them? In either case, I can take a picture of it if you need it. I'll try to check it with a meter to see if it is indeed just a contact switch.
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 01-19-2009 at 03:53 PM.

I doubt the MEMS technology required for modern accelerometers were cheap enough to be integrated into games in the 90's. It's only recently that the manufacturing process has become widespread and easy enough for the prices to drop. I can't seem to find any data to back this up though. Also, if you just need to measure if something is stationary or not, a metal spring inside a metal cylinder could be enough, and would be cheap enough to mass produce. But this wouldn't allow wii-like control.