A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer festival season

Summer festival season

So Camp Bisco VIII was just announced and presale tickets go on sale next thursday for a very nice discounted price. So now I have a week to make $115 to buy them

Anyone else check out any festivals? I am trying to save as much money as I can this summer so this might be my only one.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Why do all the good festivals have to be so far out...

http://www.wakarusa.com/2009/lineup.asp
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

If you go to this, be sure to catch Trombone Shorty. Superb act.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

This line up actually looks BETTER then what Bisco could even possibly be(full line-up yet to be announced). When Bisco is announced and the line-up is weak I might have to rethink my plans...

From what I've seen in comparing the two, it doesn't even seem like a comparison. As far as Trombone Shorty goes...I've seen him quite a few times now and frequently turn others onto him with one simple description...
    He's Prince, but with a trombone.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

oh me oh my. I will have to check him out.

SummerFest is the 'big ta do' around these parts.. tons of bands.. tons of beer/drinks.. (too many drunks out & about..unfortunately)

http://www.summerfest.com/flash/

I'm coming to the US this summer and I plan to catch the 3rd annual Deep Blues Festival... no idea where it is though. Lake Elmo?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

What is your main purpose to come over?

My girlfriends flatmate is getting married in mississippi, gonna make a time out of it... maybe bum around for a month or two.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Sounds good to me. Let me know if you make it north. Nothing really to do around here but who knows...

I'll be at camp. Also going to see if I can make it to Rothbury this year.

Wannabe are you a biscuits fan or do you go for Posford and company primarily?
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

To be honest I never really listened to the Biscuits until within the last year and I actually dig them a bit. But I really want to see Shpongle again even though it will just be Simon doing a DJ set and not even close to the live show I saw and I think Younger Brother will be amazing. I just can't wait for it to be summer and just relax for a few days to some good music with a whole camp full of people wanting to do the same thing.

Have you been to Bisco before? This will be my first "festival"

*edit*
    Just saw the other thread. Who was your favorite you've seen from bisco? I also want the lineup to be announced! I am going no matter what but I just want to know what to look forward to. The more I listen to OTT the more I like him.

Maybe a mod can just merge this thread wit the concert one?
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 02-23-2009 at 10:04 AM.

I went to camp bisco 5 and 6, missed last year. It's funny because the first camp I went to I went to see Shpongle primarily, but was hit in the face with tons of amazing music. I have to say also that the biscuits have been killing it this tour and camp should be epic.

If this is your first festival prepare to be in the center of a 3 day party. Keep an open mind and be ready for everything. I'll help you out with details as the season comes closer but if you haven't been to a festival you haven't been at a show like camp.

I've seen Simon a few times as a Shpongle DJ, as Hallucinogen Live and Hallucinogen Live in Dub (camp 2 years ago). Ott is great too, I've seen him twice, but his shows are a lot like listening to his cds. Missed Yonger Brother's live show last year but I'm confident they'll do another show after the new album.

All this talk is making me want July to come already!

I somehow skimmed over the part where you said you saw shpongle live. Was this the past fall in England?

Yeah it was an amazing experience. I hate to come down on them because what they pulled off was just mind blowing but I do have some complaints. It was said that there was going to be an opening act and that just never happened. I don't care that there wasn't because that isn't why I was there that night but the crowd just stood around for over an hour wondering what was going on. Then this is a little nit pick but they blew the crowd away and the last song they all just said thank you and got off stage and never came back. There was a HUGE demand for an encore and I would have thought of all people Simon would have rehearsed something especially for a show of that caliber.

This October 30th they are having another show in London that is going to be totally different then the show I saw in London and the few shows they have done since and it will also be an album release party! I am dying to go but that is just crazy to go back. Plane tickets are just way too much. I only made it to the last one because I was over there for a few months for school.

The After Party was also awesome. It was this huge place with multiple levels/rooms(4 in total) and each had a different sub genre of music playing in it. I stuck to the chill room most of the night where ott played. It was just an amazing experience to be around all that good music and all those wild people. That is why I can't wait for this festival because it will be just like that night except 3 days long and nice and warm...not the freezing cold I stood in waiting to get into the afterparty for 2 hours...

Sounds incredible. I'd love to make one of their shows but getting to London is such a huge move, plus it's not during any kind of break from classes so it's harder to justify. However all the times I've seen Simon has been worth it, no matter how little equipment is in front of him.

You have the right perspective on the crowd at bisco it seems. It's probably the youngest age group of any of the fests I've been to, but that makes it all the more playful. It gets a little chilly at night but nothing a few hoodies and some booze can't fix. Do you have a group you're going to bisco with? We should pick a set to meet up at when they release the lineup.

As of right now it is only definite that me and my girlfriend are going. I would like some others to come with us just so we have some people we know to chill with throughout it but I am sure if only the 2 of us go we will still have a blast.

Did you catch any of their shows this past weekend in Burlington?

Ever hear of Starscape? Just released the lineup today.
    Disco Biscuits, Lotus, Chromeo, Bassnectar, Dubwar, EOTO, Dieselboy, Evol Intent and many more. It's just one day/night on the Baltimore waterfront.