A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Paint Bucket Issues

Question [CS3] Paint Bucket Issues

Hey all, I'm a student currently trying to learn Flash CS3. However I've encountered a problem with the paint bucket. In my assignment I've created a simple rocket, each part with it's corresponding layer. Now I need to go back in and fill the body in a light gray color. I did so successfully with the nose cone. The problem now is that the bucket won't fill any other area no matter what I do, or which layer is selected.

Where have I gone wrong?

Senior Moment
    Make sure your path is closed (zoom in close, use outline view). Sometimes it helps to actually select the shape you're trying to fill. Also, at the bottom of the tools panel, with the paint bucket selected there are options: don't close gaps, close small, medium, large gaps.

Good luck!
    Victory belongs to "The Murray"!

Thanks ReNaeNae, I'll give that a shot and hope for the best!

Still not working...

Well, unfortunately that didn't correct the problem. I looked very closely and there are no gaps on any of the layers, yet the paint bucket still won't fill the area selected.

Hi,

just make sure that the layer is unlocked... and u have selected the filll big gap option avail at the bottom of the tool box

Unhappy

...I've done that too.

I think I've figured it out!

Quote Originally Posted by dierdra_morgana
    ...I've done that too.
    Hi there, I was having the exact same problem and was going crazy trying to figure it out. Here's what worked for me, maybe it's the same problem you're having.

In the Tools bar - that is typically the vertical bar on the left hand side of the screen (where you select paintbucket, pen, etc.) - after you have clicked on the pencil tool, near the bottom there is a button with a circle inside a square and when you hover, it says Object Mode. Check to make sure that this is OFF.

My roommate's dog must have hit something to turn it on when she pawed at my keyboard last week and I could not figure out how to turn it off. Simple as that. Hope that helps!

That's a great point, but unfortunately I have tried that also. Another classmate of mine was having a similar problem: We sort of solved the problem by using the Pen tool, as opposed to the line tool. I don't know what was going on, but it was weird.

Thanks for your input though!

Paint Bucket Issues sorted

I have been having the same issues with paint bucket and after reading this post thread have finally sorted out the problem. Thank you so much. I am currently completing a cert IV Website Design and this is all new to me and I was struggling with this issue for the last 2 days. So once again thank you

it would help if you send the .fla so we can analyze the problem, my guess is your objects do have gaps, but (u thought) u closed the gap by drawing on a different layer, this happens sometimes.
    free ecards site with flash animations and stuffs. visit, don't visit.. whatever.

1)make sure all path have been closed...
    2)select the line that u want to fill in
    3)click Modify>Shape>Convert lines to fill

absolutely same problem

I have exactly the same problem. I want to color a rocket drawing too and the bucket lets me fill only few parts of it. When i want to fill some other it just fills the whole background :/