A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [cs4]

[CS4] Buttons that animate

Hi all,

I'm looking at a button for my website that has a custom texture with text in the very middle. I'm looking at having 6 buttons, all with different text (Home, Media, Forums, etc).

I want to make it so that when the viewer mouses over the button, it turns from the detailed texture to a solid color, but not instantly. I'd like to have it be a smooth fade over about .5 seconds. Mousing off the button will restore it to the detailed texture. However, I'd like to keep the text unchanged throughout the whole process.

Thanks for your time!

Zach

Edit: I've had trouble editing the alpha of my custom texture, so I did a sloppy work-around where I put a solid colored box on top of the texture and set the box's alpha to 0%. I was able to get it to go from 0% to 100% alpha in 6 frames, but it was as a movie clip. As soon as I tested it, it would just loop the fade (like a strobe light). I know I need to put some sort of "Stop()"; command in, but I have no idea where. Also, how do I get that movie clip on the MouseOver (and thinking retroactively, my MouseOff) section of my button?
    Last edited by Zooch; 01-24-2009 at 12:39 PM.

I'm sorry I meant to add more to the title of my post - I edited the title but it didn't show up as changed

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help get this question answered. The main question I have right now is:

How can I embed movie clips into a button's mouseover/mouseoff state so it's animated (rather than a simple black/white change)?