A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Solar Panels and wind power... I need my Urbia

Solar Panels and wind power... I need my Urbia

That's it.. I am tired to be dependent of such a large network for food, energy and so on!

My goal for 2009 independence!

You’re not helpless and dependent when something fails. When the lights quit or the water stops, you have choices. You don’t always need to live by the decisions others make for you. Today, such decisions have brought an unwelcome world. Jobs, homes, assets and people are being devalued. Society is dangerously dependent. Most citizens don’t walk their own path, but many wish they did.

Any of you have tried solar power or are growing small gardens?

I am not talking about making 100% of my food and energy self made. But rather something like 30-40%. I see it as a start and have no place to put 20 battery.

Cost per watt seems ok for solar and it works on rainy days as well.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Sola...r-Panels/c741/

http://store.altenergystore.com/Wind...urbines/c1106/

How about you? Have you tough about this. Being auto-sufficient!
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

if you have the space, not having a garden for vegtables is just insane. the amount of effort it takes is minimal, the cost is negibile.

As for solar and wind power i have not had any experience with it, but if there comes a time when i purchase a home its something that i will take into account when getting home loans.

tax breaks + cheaper energy = good investment.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'm already slightly off the grid but my windmill got trashed in a storm where 3 large trees fell. I now want one of these to replace my broken windmill.

Solar assistance on my heated water too. But I'm saving to invest on taking my house totally off the grid at a later date. 'Tis nothing new... I'd swear DP and I had talked about this in the past.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

We want to get a windmill out in the back of our property that could probably support us 100% with our electricity needs but don't think the neighbors will approve the permit.

We also have quite a large garden that when harvesting time comes supports us for 75% of the vegetables we eat and brings us easily into winter with the stuff we freeze.

And we run our water out of a well.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    I'm already slightly off the grid but my windmill got trashed in a storm where 3 large trees fell. I now want one of these to replace my broken windmill.

Solar assistance on my heated water too. But I'm saving to invest on taking my house totally off the grid at a later date. 'Tis nothing new... I'd swear DP and I had talked about this in the past.

The mini-turbine is made of clear polycarbonate (the lack of color is apparently a statement about there being so much materiality in the world) and is capable of providing 20-60% of the power needs for the average home. It will be available this coming September with a price tag around $600.
    the cost of a ps3 with some games. insane that everyone doesnt have one. maybe instead of sending everyone $600 in a stimulous package they should send everyone one of these wind turbines.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

yeah, I've BEEN wanting one... and it's now 5 months after when it was supposed to come out.

But I agree. Send that instead of a stimulus. I'd choose that.

Here's a small read that I found interesting about wind power
    http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/42005.pdf

Anyone got good info on solar panel?
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I think we will see more use of wind turbine designs like this in the future -
    http://www.popsci.com.au/environment...-wind-turbines
    ...I have seen similar designs for the top of city buildings and think it will be one way to go in terms of space and visual impact.

Quiet Revolution in the UK do a 6kw model which is pretty interesting - http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk

Looks ok in the suburban landscape -
    http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk/homeowners.htm

While we are talking solar as well, check out these 166kw solar arrays over apartments in Malmo in Sweden (image from www.treehugger.com) -

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I am all for this type of energy but damn are those panel hideous. Aren't they in the works of making some panels that don't looks like the stereotypical ones and can be WAY smaller but still collect the same amount of energy?

Let's just take Montana and turn it into a solar field- anyone have anything against that?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    The big problem I see is that alternatives work best combined with the mains grid.

Battery technology is messy and dirty and batteries are not forever ...there is a recycling issue. Batteries require additional electronic equipment to monitor and maintain batteries and charge, and then convert power from 12v.

Our government here has been offering rebates for solar installations, and in the most part, the uptake has been in places where they can have a meter for power into, and out of, the grid (so it acts like a big centralised battery bank). But of course, when the grid is down, you have potentially the same problems.

david

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    I am all for this type of energy but damn are those panel hideous.
    well maybe, but they seem to suit the ugly red brick apartment blocks underneath and possibly make them a little more attractive, with their juanty, reflective (tin foil) hat sort of look.

david

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    yeah, I've BEEN wanting one... and it's now 5 months after when it was supposed to come out.

But I agree. Send that instead of a stimulus. I'd choose that.
    you know....every once in a while when you talk about all the gadgets you have, i can only think that you're like a black Rick Moranis in Honey i Shrunk the Kids...walking around the house with erector sets and electrodes on your head....hahhaha.

The black Rick Moranis. My god that's geek to a new level! HA!