A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Weird frigging problem with gotoAndPlay and movie clips

Weird frigging problem with gotoAndPlay and movie clips

Ok I'm not a total noob at Flash but I'm a recreational user so no mad skillz here. However what ASC I do know I can usually use problem solving skills to figure out what I have done wrong when I have a problem. When you think about it flash and ASC are alot of logic, kinda of like math and if you check your work enough times you'll see where you made the error.

This one has got me completely stumped beyond all comprehension. I'll try to explain exactly what is happening here:

I'm making a website in ASC3. I have my main timeline and I have a few movie clips with sound effects included in that timeline.

My 1st "page" of the website starts on frame 22. I have two movie clips with sound that start on frame 22. One movie clip lasts for 10 frames and ends with a stop() and the other lasts for 20 frames and ends with a stop(). These two movie clips are meant to play together, they are basically animations and the appropriate sound effect for that animation.

This 1st page plays through its initial "start up" sequence until frame 52 where it comes to a stop() command. The user then can click a few buttons to move to various pages. Frames 22-51 are just start up animations, they don't need to play after the user has seen them once. However the content on frame 52 to 112 might need to be visited again.So I have a button that links from like frame 100 back to frame 52 with a gotoAndPlay(52) command.

Now here is where I'm having the problem.

For some reason when it goes back to frame 52 it plays the sound effects from the two movie clips. Not the animations from them, just the sound. The sound from the longest movie clip only plays once, but the sound from the shorter movie repeats indefinately.

What gives? These two movie clips play an animation that moves, then stops, and is visible throughout the other "pages" of the website on the timeline. The sound effects play and stop like they should on the first load. And they shouldn't play again when going back to frame 52 but for some reason they do. (except not in the same manner as each other )

It makes no sense because, several of the other pages load with the end frame of those movie clips present and don't play the sound effects at all.

So I can't figure out why this one gotoAndPlay(52) command is triggering sound effects for a movie clip that has already played out before the main timeline ever gets to frame 52.

Any insight or ideas you can offer are greatly appreciated.

maybe add a keyframe at the end of the sound effect? this has helped me in the past...