A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Only in Wisconsin...

Ubuntu causes dropouts... in Wisconsin.

Abbie Schubert paid more than $1,100 for a Dell laptop hoping to enroll in online classes at Madison Area Technical College, or MATC.

But something stopped her: she bought an operating system for her computer she never heard of, Ubuntu.

That's an operating system for your computer similar to Windows that contains Linux. It's highly regarded among some people and extremely popular with certain circles of computer users because it's free.

Schubert says she ordered her laptop online at Dell.com expecting to buy your classic bread-and-butter computer.

She didn't realize until the next morning her laptop defaulted to the Ubuntu operating system.

"It's been a mess," she said. "I regret ordering the computer."

Schubert says she never heard of Ubuntu until learning that she accidentally bought it. She called Dell the very next day and says the representative told her there was still time to change back to Windows.

But she says Dell discouraged her.

"The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," said Schubert.

So she stuck with it.

Later, she discovered Ubuntu might look like Windows, but it doesn't always act like it.

Her Verizon High-Speed Internet CD won't load, so she can't access the internet. She also can't install Microsoft Word, which she says is a requirement for MATC's online classes.

As a result, with no internet and no Microsoft Word, Schubert dropped out of MATC's fall and spring semesters.

She also says Dell claimed it was now too late to get Windows and any changes she made herself would void her warranty.
    Read more here...

Seriously. She needs Office? Use OpenOffice.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

the alien invasion has started. Just wait until she discovers firefox
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

She's clearly an idiot. She probably used Dells order system and noticed her total suddenly got a lot cheaper when she opted for an ubuntu OS. Her bad and shame on the Dell tech for suggesting she stick with it.

The reporter is the worst of the bunch though for trying to spin this into some sort of scam or talk about ubuntu like she got baited and switched with a cheap Korean knock off.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 01-16-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Does installing a new OS seriously void a dell warranty?! ****, Asus said recently that they'll honour any warranty on the Eee, even if it's been popped open. Anything short of soldering I think

And also, I thought Dell's thing was that they never sold in shops but I recently saw one at Dixons. What's up with that?

[edit] And also, what have Dell got to gain by pimping ubuntu to customers?

[edit2] Read the article, I love how they say "which contains linux" like it's some sort of virus
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 01-16-2009 at 02:33 AM.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I smell stupidity mixed with a little manipulation here.

1.) She failed to check the system requirements with her ISP.
    2.) She failed to read the system requirements on the laptop she ordered. Pre-installing Ubuntu is not something Dell would hide.

This is why Linux will fail in the mainstream, until someone finds financial incentive to package and brand it, much like NeXT/Apple did with BSD.

3rd parties aren't going to devote resources to keeping up with the FOSS community, when they don't have formal developer networks or a partner to work with.

Your average dumbsh*t needs a computer that works, they don't understand operating systems, file formats, etc. Apple knows this, and can compete with Windows for consumers because they cater to those needs. They make a big deal about compatibility and making things 'just work.' They realize that most people know 'computers' as Windows, because that's what they were given at work, and that's how they learned to use them. Apple puts a lot of effort into bridging the gap, and making people feel comfortable about switching, as well as establishing partnerships and promoting their OS to ensure support with people like Verizon.

I'm not anti-Linux, but it's going to fail for consumers until someone steps up and decides to make a profit on it, building partnerships and providing consumer support. The FOSS community just doesn't get it, they think everything should be free, but don't want to make it accessible or usable. They're stereotypical nerds.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 01-16-2009 at 02:46 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

bah..... MATC is a 'joke'.. Associates Degree type schooling... (for REAL education/schooling)

Ive taken some classes there (for the fun of it on chosen topics).. and some of the 'teachers' are fools..

so this doesnt surprise me.. (why pass up a 4 year University of Madison education for an online 2 year MATC one?)

kaka

Only in Wisconsin...

Wisconsin must have the greatest concentration of Darwin award winners... ever.

The investigation started with an anonymous call from an employee at Mercy Walworth Medical Center in Lake Geneva, with the allegation that a nurse took pictures of a patient with her cell phone and posted them on her Facebook page.

The patient was admitted to the emergency room with an object lodged in his rectum. Police said the nurse explained she and a co-worker snapped photos when they learned it was a sex device. Police said discussion about the incident was posted on her Facebook page, but they haven't found anyone who actually saw the pictures.
    Read more here... view the story here...

Way to represent, Wisconsin.

People in Wisconsin have no shame..they will go to great lengths to shame people.

And we dont have accents like that in the mid-west.. that more of North/South 'Ka-lina' accent.

(bastards)... lol

Wisconsin... again.

Lord. Wisconsin is the state that evolution must have forgotten.

A Strum woman faces a felony charge after police say she posted her former boyfriend's profile in a personals section on Craigslist without his knowledge or consent.

The ad was placed under "casual encounters," police say, and indicated the man wanted other men to call him at work and "talk dirty to him."

Kari A. Heath, 20, 323 W. Birch St., Strum, was charged this week in Eau Claire County Court with causing harm through identity theft.
    Read more here.

He should be glad she didn't post that he liked rape scenarios without introduction.

that sets a bad precedent. anytime we quote and change words in the quote we could be charged with identity theft, and causing harm.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

What the H. Am I the only one that finds this funny as all get out. I think it was a brilliant idea. Yes she should have done it under a false name from a phone booth in another city but come on that is just funny. Like signing your boss up for pron or hehehe signing you fat female boss up for formula advertisements and then getting the coupons that come it.

I love it.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

That gave me a good laugh...

But seriously, a felony charge for an internet/phone prank?
    How much "harm" could this have actually done to the guy?

I agree with jAQUAN, he should be glad it wasn't worse.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by pea3698 View Post
    What the H. Am I the only one that finds this funny as all get out...
    Not at all. This is absolutely fantastic. The m4m section of Craigslist has some of the funniest posts ever. Gay men looking for casual encounters are the most brazen f***ers ever. I can only imagine what some of those calls were like...brilliant.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Put a homophobe in the wrong place and you just might wind up charged as an accessory to murder. Remember Jenny Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Amedure

I thought it was funny too..

her is another Wisconsin news article from yesterday:

http://kenoshanews.com/home/bust_unc...s_4500527.html

and one I found as well (although old as heck).. its someone I went to school with.
    too funny..
    LOL

http://www.dailykenoshan.com/index.p...=5489&Itemid=1

Civilian
    Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus View Post
    Is Jstarkey all right??
    Whodat

Ban him!
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna