A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Path import

Path import

Hi,

I miss a non-linear motion path at KoolMoves.
    But I could make it under 3DFA and then
    export it as a package to KM.
    I have tried it with FlashDevelop.
    It works great there.
    But with KM - no chance.
    Im newbie at AS3 and dont know where is there a problem.
    Maybe have you any idea?
    (Example see an attach file)

-
    regards
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zAMORdEK; 03-01-2009 at 08:47 PM.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Bob was hammering away at helper classes (among other things) before going on vacation. AS3 is a few weeks old in our platform and the changelog reflects the furious pace of development so it won't be long before issues like the above are negated as our AS3 support progresses.

The helper class is not the only problem.
    Those helper classes work in the latest beta but the source is targetted to the Flex compiler. KM is more like Flash.

KM did add support for [Embed] to some extent (Flash CS3 doesn't support it at all) but embedding symbols from a swf file isn't supported as far as I know.
    Also when you create an instance using the new keyword, KM expects brackets like new Array(); while the 3DFA exported code has new Array;

Chris, is TweenMax suitable for non-linear motion paths ?
    If so, that could be a solution.
    Last edited by w.brants; 03-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.

where can I find beta version?

Hi guys,

Thanx for the quickly answer.
    Tell me, please, where can I find all these beta versions?
    And, besides, 3DFA can do something like TweenMax (s. file).
    OK, OK, forget 3DFA!
    But, until KM non-linear motion path supports,
    I look for an alternative.

-
    regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

The biggest problem would be how to draw the path a shape should follow.
    Using scripting it's possible to define a path with lines or bezier curves or to create a class that can use svg data to define a motion path but it's a lot easier if you can draw a path on stage.

KM beta releases are not public. Just contact KM support and tell them the latest beta can solve a problem you have or even better, become a beta tester.

Sound like you need all this to work in ActionScript. But if you ever consider doing frame based animation, KoolMoves supports many kinds of non-linear tweenin. To use it, just select what you want to apply it to, and in the properties dialogue box, select the interpolant you want. If you nest an object in two movieclips, you can have one interpolant for x motion and a different one for y motion, which gives non-linear motion along curves.

Hi,w.brants

Exactly.This is why I want to use 3DFA.
    Under 3DFA you can make this scene
    (see path_tweening.zip) within one minute!
    This knew 3DFA since years ago...
    Why doesnt do this also KM?
    KM seems to be a professional software!
    But without non-linear motion path, forget it!

Thanks for the information.I have just contact KM support.

_
    regards
    Last edited by zAMORdEK; 03-02-2009 at 11:13 AM.

There are tons of TweenMax non linear examples tweening bezier paths using linear equations. Same for CS3/4 users with the built in tween class. Seems an odd thing to forgo a platform for anyway but I'm not an animator by nature so I see nothing in 3DFA as a platform that would compel me to use it vs KM. We have Necro3D and soon will support Papervision which is plenty to get my 3D groove on should I feel the need

Quote Originally Posted by zAMORdEK View Post
    Under 3DFA you can make this scene
    (see path_tweening.zip) within one minute!
    This knew 3DFA since years ago...
    Why doesnt do this also KM?

regards
    Since we are having a friendly game of platform comparisons....

Some things in 3DFA take a minute (as you say)...some things take an eternity....like XML obviously.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...73#post4149273

Struggling with XML....no solutions after months? Why doesn't 3DFA do that? I'd be less concerned with swinging an object around a circle and more concerned with lack of standardized scripting and core concept support. XML is old school...and something 3DFA should have known since years ago.

But take heart...Koolmoves is just waiting for you to take a longer look at what it offers and not compare it to something it doesn't want to be. Maybe we'll see you in the beta team taking a better look....and maybe...just maybe you'll stop comparing it to what you are used to and see it for what it is. Pretty damn perfect for a $50 dollar app (this from a KM user who's FlexBuilder 3 and CS4 are getting dusty because he's so blown away but what KM7 CAN do).

Chris, did you say Km will support papervision? I can't wait to see that!!!

Papervision support was a goal of beta. Is it still a goal? Haven't been told otherwise myself.

I sure hope it is.

This one was nagging at me zAMORdEK and I wanted to make an example for you.

This example uses on non linear path (a star path in this one) that is bezier tweened with some checkbox choices to show different methods that can be applied (orient to path and tween through bezier points). It is real example.

The rest are various ways to use visual trickery to perfectly simulate a circle path which in reality use the rotation property to tween. I hide one anchor to show what I mean).

If you are using standard shapes (primitives) then you can simply draw your shape onstage with Koolmoves and then trace the point values to use with the bezier equation passed to the Tween (exactly what I did with the star primative) and save a lot of time plotting them out. In my example I show the primative path but could just as easily hide it. Mix it up and use your imagination...there are tones of options with TweenMax and now that the beta supports TweenGroup, stacking tween sequences is another cool tool in our toolbelts.

Example:

http://www.km-codex.com/?p=373

@joca_hdj

The beta delivered recently supports flash proxies and helper classes so we'll see if it makes progress compiling earlier class files of all kinds that failed due to the lack of it. It's all trial and error at this stage and every improvement possibly renders previously failed classes as compatible now. Everyone is welcome to suggest a class that runs as delivered that they come across and will be credited with the submission. We're not out for hits or adverts or click through schemes...our site has none of it....it's all about getting everything we can out that promotes the platform and hopefully helps new users now and down the road.
    Necro3d may offer everything Papervision does...and with Remus being our most talented user in the area I defer to him and look forward to seeing what Necro3d can do. I'm spinning live data components in a Flex based Papervision cube right now and if I can do things like that with Necro3d you won't hear me mention the word Papervision again. I have a feeling Necro3d is going to shut me up simply due to the fact it's listed in big letters at the KM website, the big boys already know what it can do and I'm quite sure that is no accident it's being promoted there so prominently