A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Complete] www.wizarddefense.com (tower defense)

I humbly submit our game. Please critique.

Hey guys,

I work with a fairly new games company and we built a Flash tower defense game, trying to make the best tower defense game in the genre . We been stealth for awhile but figured I'd hit up all you guys. We put some interesting tech and art into it, I think you guys will dig it.

We would much appreciate comments and critique, and some competition on the leaderboard!

Since flash kit has a long standing in the flash community, hell i'm writing from an account I thought was deactivated ages ago, I would very much like feed back and the chance to showcase a little something we built for the games community with the power of Flash.

Thanks and hope you have fun at www.wizarddefense.com

Best,
    Ellington.
    Sr.Interface.Designer

[Complete] www.wizarddefense.com (tower defense)

Dang messed up my title earlier,

anyhow we proudly present www.wizarddefense.com, for all you gamers and flash devs and artists out there.

Please comment and critique us.

-Ellington.

Mate, any chance you can set up a guest account ? I think it'll encourage a lot more feedback ( You know what it's like, even if you had to register to get a free van load of money delivered, a lot of people still wouldn't ).

Squize.

reply to Squize

Hey Squize,

I'll see what I can do, you can select 'play now' from the main menu, and you can play the first level without registering. Reason for registering is because the game has multiple quests and levels and you can save your progress like a console game and play where you left off. And to make sure our servers don't get abused.

In the mean time I will see if i can get a guest account hooked up here. But tell me what you think of the first level if you get the chance.

Thanks a bunch.
    -Ellington.
    Last edited by ellington; 03-04-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Oh yes also we our game doesn't require authentication from the email address just put in any old email address and you can start playing right away. We only do this for users who might forget passwords and user names.

If your still a bit skiddish I've gone ahead and made one for you or anyone who comes across this

www.wizarddefense.com
    User Name: FlashKit
    Password: wizards

Caveat, there is a process of selecting your character and stuff, which can only you can only go through once. As well as some of the help tutorial and story. So whoever uses this account first will be privy to these choices and actions. After that the game is the same for everyone. So the game might be confusing to some that don't start with their own account. But you asked so there it is, or at least until I get in trouble from the higher ups!!! Play on it while you can!!!!!

Note: If it doesn't work after a while it means they killed the account, but i'll try to let you guys know.

If you dig the game please feel free to sign up your own Username so you can play on the leaderboard, save your own games and get the full initial Wizard Defense experience!

-Ellington.
    Last edited by ellington; 03-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.

Allow me to be the first to say ... er .... blimey! That is one impressive piece of work. Superb artwork and design - very highly polished, extremely professional, and on first impression, the scale/depth of the gme seems huge. How many people and how much time was needed for this undertaking? Quite substantial I would imagine.

Only a couple of small niggles I had - first one is when you sign up, you have to agree that you have read the terms of use ... but clicking on the terms of use label below it brings up a blank screen. Second one - it would be nice if signing up for the game automatically signed you up for the forum as well, rather than needing to sign up again. Other than that - superb, and I'm sure it will be a massive hit.

<edit> Only one thing I don't get ... no advertising, no fees for playing ... one wonders how you are going to make any revenue from this. Unless you are expecting a buy out. Just curious!
    Last edited by _Ric_; 03-04-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Darnit, I'm too lazy to sign up...

Really first class artwork. Overall, excellent implementation. Runs a bit sluggish on my laptop, but lots of games do that.

Artwork/graphics is really beautiful.
    But gameplay is not that much different from other TD games.
    Also loading the game seems to take too long on my pc.
    Oh, and the text fields in the "health bonus"/score screen seem to overlap a bit with their values!

Wow, great work! It's rare to see such
    The artwork and interface design are stunning. The audio and sound effects fit nicely without being too annoying.

I'm going to critique this a bit more harshly than I normally would, since it's obviously a higher quality game. Just know that most of these are nit-picks on an overall great game:

- When clicking certain buttons (eg: choosing the difficulty level) the cursor is an arrow cursor rather than a hand. I know this is a small thing, but it feels awkward.

- Some of the introductory typography and interface elements seem out of place style-wise. The grey rounded box that introduces the narrative is very "default" looking and not at all in the style of the rest of the game.

- The typography and information design for the info box and the tutorial text could be more clear. The title, stats and description all seem to have the same level of importance. I think if you finessed the type sizes and color (and maybe add a divider line or two) it would be much easier to digest the information there.

- During the tutorial I wanted to place a tower in an area under the tutorial text, but couldn't. Ideally you would be able to click there or dismiss the text bubble somehow.

- The enemy health bars seem unconsidered design-wise.

- The scoring text on the congratulations screen is hard to read (white text on light bg).

- On the map pop-ups some of the text runs off the side of the box.

- Artwork aside, there's not much new or unique about the gameplay.

Overall really great stuff though. It must have been a ton of work. I too am curious what the business model for this game is.
    Good luck!

The superb artwork is enough to make this game interesting and fresh, even if TD games are over used these days.

Did you embed the fonts ? "Current : Not Completed" doesn't fit in its field.

ditto on all the props. awesome work
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Thanks for all the feedback guys,

We are taking in all that has been and will be said about the game here and will continue to iterate on the game.

We built the game because our company is passionate about games, and to explore the online/flash realm. It's been a great learning experience and we are hoping to do more.

more later.
    Ellington.

The graphics and interface looks really good, and its fun to play! good job How many people are you working on this project (both designers and programmers)?

Try out my game http://alpha.bombwar.com - Alphakey: fkaplha

Unfortunately not allowed to say but a fair amount compared to your average flash game I would imagine, there is alot of stuff happening both front and back end.

Its' been an interesting experience comparing to console games, I love the agility of the medium during the process and production. Don't like the lack of horse power in the way the flash player works.

-Ellington.