dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Speed Test] X++

[Speed Test] X++

Hi,

Feels like a while since I've started a thread here, and when I do I'm just sniffing after a favour.

A screenie always seems to sweeten the deal

Our current game, X++ uses Jeff / 8Bit's timer loop ( Mentioned in another recent thread, the tutorial is here: http://www.8bitrocket.com/newsdispla...newspage=10248 ) which works a treat most of the time... but if the game has an overrun then Flash starts ignoring I/O checks, one of which being the keyboard.

Basically if the game is throwing too much data around it ignores the keyboard, in effect locking it up.

I've just put an option at the start of the game to play it with all the love, and a version which is reduced.
    What would be really great is if you guys could give it a test in the best mode and let me know if you get any sort of lock-up, and if so does playing it in the less love mode make it any better ? Also posting your spec. is pretty essential if you don't mind.

Just to caveat things which I'm sure will come up:
    * The game is WIP, placeholders in places etc.
    * The options button doesn't work on the title screen, please don't press it.
    * There's no fps counter in there 'cause I'm not after feedback on that ( The game runs at 31fps, but the in-game timer based loop runs at 60fps, so a fps counter is pretty redundant ). If the keyboard ignores you that's what I need to know, rather than it running at x fps on your machine.
    * It's WIP ( For fear of sounding like an arse, I'm really not after a bug report or a list of nice to have's, it's just this one thing that needs testing on as wide a spread of machines as possible please ).
    * It's just over 3meg, and doesn't have a preloader as such, so please stick with it whilst it loads.

It's the top most build, #18
    http://www.gywgames.com/xDev/

Thanks a lot in advance,

Squize.

It runs fine on my laptop, which is an old 1.5ghz celeron, so you're fine on the low-end. I didn't seem to notice any difference (performance or visual) between the two modes, though. I didn't hit any lockups.

Tested on MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Duo.

I played the 'full love' version, and may have experienced a lock-up at level 3 - didn't last very long and was more like making the SWF lose focus than anything else.

I played up 'til level 6 and couldn't recreate the lock-up (making me wonder if I had indeed lost focus) and I tried really hard to make sure there was lots going on on-screen (i.e. leaving the small asteroids, and waiting for the enemies to appear etc.)

Beyond that little blip it seemed to run fine.

I didnt have any problems (except I hate those enemy ships, they wont let me sit there anymore, now I have to move around).

FP 10,0,22,87 Opera 9.63, WinXP (Core2 Duo 2.66GHZ, 3 GB RAM)

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Works like a charm in the "best" version - looks great too

Laptop 1.66 gHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP, Firefox/3.0.7 , FP 10,0,12,36
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Looks sweet, ran sweet, and most importantly I got no lock up at all. ( Using the "dual core" setting. )

1.86 Ghz, 1GB of RAM, running Windows Vista. I used Chrome on the beta update channel ( or whatever they call it ). FP 10

Funnily enough I'm using my "cheap laptop I can't afford to replace" and it worked fine on the higher setting.

~Ork.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys, it helps so much ( Looks like the lock-up issue isn't an issue any more ), and sorry about my overly snotty "I just want feedback on ONE THING!" post
    ( It was one of those that read all right at the time ).

It's good that people with older machines are still being able to play the full of love version without any hit ( Although I'm glad I went to the effort to add the slightly ugly friend option ).

Sietjp that's very weird, and not good. I'm hoping that was just the server crapping out mid-load ( Once the logo is loaded all the game is doing is waiting for the rest of the game to preload, there's no external files or anything ).

T, glad that new baddie is doing it's job. In terms of gameplay issues, like the whole being able to just stay in one spot "trick", blogging and the constant public updates have proved invaluable as that's something that I would either have missed, or spotted and turned a blind eye to.

Thanks again for all the feedback posted here, I'm really grateful.

Squize.

Very nice! Played to level 10, no slow down or input problems at all.

Laptop: 2GHz Dual Core, 2 GB, FP10/IE7/Vista.

I just tried it out again, and my lock up was definitely a 'lost focus'...

Could you make the game pause if idiots like me click outside of the SWF?

I played for several minutes with no problems
    Flash Player 10,0,12,36 : Safari 4 : OS X 10.5.6
    Dual 2.6 G5 (PowerPC).

Nice work!

I retested today, and it's working, I can see the menu. Build 18 version, in dual core. No problem of I/O and perfectly smooth.
    I played until level 4.
    still FP 10.0.1.218 (xp ie7) Pentium D 3.4GHz

no problems here.....played it through level 4, and only occasional slow downs here and there...but no loosing of keyboard control.

specs:

WinXP sp3, IE 7.0.5, FP. 10,0,12,36, Dual Core2 Duo 2.44 GHZ, 4 gb of ram.

paul.

Excellent, thanks for the continued feedback guys.

I noticed yesterday when updating the Flocker bitmaps that I'm still using sprites for the baddies, so there will be some cpu cycles to reclaim there ( They will be replaced by just adding the bitmap straight to the screen which is a nice speed up ).

charlie good idea mate, hopefully that won't be too painful to add. I'm spotting all the little things now when it's coming to the end, such as pressing the right button causes the arrow to reappear so I need a check there to hide the mouse again.

Squize.

Wow. Damn you and your damned bar-elevating graphics! @$#%#%

Nice! No slowdown, but that doesn't say much with my specs.

When I fired the green blobs (pulse?) the first few times they wouldn't explode properly. Instead the green blob stood still and just got a square cut out of it. It looked like the explosion sprites overwrote something there. I couldn't recreate it later when I had the idea to just stand somewhere and make a screenshot.

No mute button. I found the sound excellent and the music plain awesome, but my opinion probably won't be shared by everyone.

One last thing, I found the reloadtime when you switch weapons annoying. I understand you want to prevent cheating, by just switching weapons, but at times it wasn't clear to me which weapon I selected (especially with the slow pulse one). Maybe three reloadtimes independent of weaponswitching?

EDIT:
    Got a screenshot at another go. There hasn't been a pulse fired for a while, so the pulse on the screenshot is more of a phantom image. Also, when I would move my cursor over it, it would take rectangular chunks out of it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TOdorus; 03-15-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Found a screenshot

Cheers Ray, although there are still some very pretty placeholders in there.

TOdorus I see you're playing the new build 19 with comments about the sound

"When I fired the green blobs (pulse?) the first few times they wouldn't explode properly. Instead the green blob stood still and just got a square cut out of it."

Yep that's 'cause I store a damage map for the bitmap that I plot things to which need to fade out ( Such as particles ), and the pulse doesn't update the damage map correctly.
    It's on my list

"No mute button"

It's WIP mate. It's not the final game, it's not even the final beta, every day I have a new build worth posting I post it.
    That means there will be buggy versions posted as well as in-complete.

Saying that I coded the mute button yesterday, although it will be within the options, I'm not going to have an on-screen mute button ( And hopefully never will ).

"Maybe three reloadtimes independent of weaponswitching?"

That's not a bad idea, I've got a feeling that should be a 5 min fix, so I'll add that in, cheers.

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    **** I want my 52 minutes back. Damn game has my eyes bloodshot, and though around level 14 it turns into some serious athritis causing strain on my mouse hand, I'm still loving the game. What are the weapon caps? I had 6 shots on the multi and swore I picked up another one and nothing happened, and the bar didn't appear as full, either (I think, can't remember now.) Someone beat me to it, but the pulse bitmap is sticking and not fading out (I see you're correcting it, so ignore). Someone also suggested a mute button which would be nice to kill that wanna-be Star Wars theme After 100 loops it becomes kind of a strain (I see you're correcting it, so ignore). Nothing really to complain about other than those @&(#*@! flockers need to stop spawning on me. That and maybe add a health boost to the power ups. Will there be an eventual option to remove the messages before each level? After level 14 the super-slick zoom in effect was starting to become kind of drawn out too, maybe an option for impatient bastards like to me to hurry things along?

Don't ever stop expanding this game. Seriously.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

No barbed comment ? At last I'm doing something right

"What are the weapon caps? "

5 from memory. You've just made me realise that I need to find a way to not offer up a certain power-up type if it's already maxed out ( Or go the lazy route and just add points if you collect it, which is possibly the way I'll go ).

"wanna-be Star Wars theme"

I think it beat Star Wars by a 40 years or so

I did originally have Hall of the Mountain King in there but it just didn't fit correctly

"Nothing really to complain about other than those @&(#*@! flockers need to stop spawning on me."

If they teleport directly on top of you they just die without you losing any energy.
    As you're the 2nd person to mention that I may need to add some kind of feedback showing it.

"maybe add a health boost to the power ups"

I prefer the auto top-up between levels, I think it works well in conjunction with the progress bar in determining how you'll play out the rest of a level.

"Will there be an eventual option to remove the messages before each level?"

If you mean the level complete / tip, then no, they're staying. They create a natural pause in the game flow which I think is important.
    The instructions only ever appear once per load ( If that's what you meant ).

"After level 14 the super-slick zoom in effect was starting to become kind of drawn out too, maybe an option for impatient bastards like to me to hurry things along?"

No, for the same reason, it creates a pause and a sense of expectation.

"Don't ever stop expanding this game. Seriously."

Thanks, but it's all but done. I got a similar comment on the blog the other day, about dropping missions etc. in there.
    Same reply applies, it's just asteroids, nothing more. If people get a good 10/15 mins blasting out of it, then cool. I enjoy it, I think it rocks, and that's all I could ever ask for in anything I do.
    Just 'cause it's a good version of asteroids it doesn't need expanding further and further, it doesn't need a mission or a shop or user customisation or... A game where those things are relevant for the game play needs those things, asteroids doesn't.

The main thing left from our point of view are the global stats, then it's all but done, then it's on to the next game ( Which will either be Paradroid, Uridium or Alien Breed ).

Squize.