A Flash Developer Resource Site

View Poll Results: How many levels should i have? (a boss after every third level)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

3 25.00%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Idea?

Ok, looking at your changes... I'm still not a fan of the stripes, but that's really up to you. It still has lime-green text on a teal background in a couple of places. You need contrast with text, otherwise it's hard to read. Make all the text black except where you're highlighting something, like where the words "red" and "blue" are red and blue. I'd also change the instructions box and button to something a little less bright, maybe a light blue, and put a black border around them.

Also, you should use the same color for all the info boxes. You need to keep things consistent. So instead of brown for the box after you win, make it same color as the instruction box. And is there a reason the box around the score needs to be purple? I'd say make it white with a black border, and make the score itself black. Although honestly I'm not sure you even not the box - just the red bar and the score would be enough on their own.

You're trying to do too much with the color scheme. Less is more. You want subtlety - not everything needs to stand out. You're making progress, though.

what colours i choose is up to me as well but i will make sure that light colours like light blue and green don't mix.

i can't really at the moment though, currently scheduled to having a sleep. i mean i have been working from your advice for... has it been an hour??? anyways its like 11:30 pm so i gotta go to sleep

The background doesn't loop correctly and is Very distracting. The high in the music sounds bad, probably because of compression. The friendly and unfriendly zombies spawn to close to each other, so winning a level can become a game of luck. The graphics jitter quite a lot, so you may try a higher framerate.

Arghhh. my eyes!

The game itself is fun and kept me playing for a while. The ideas are pretty good and you have a nice concept. Every level has something new and that was very good. What needs polishing are the graphics. You can make them more complex than just plain circles. Try to look at other one's work out there and look at the graphics so you can learn from it and try to apply new things to your games; look at the colors, gradients, try to figure out how they did it... it's really useful.

Now to your questions:
    is the music good and suitable?
    yes, it's cool, but its of some artists that own the copyrights. Try to look for some music under a creative commons license, other of sites that provide sounds & music, or some of your own. Newgrounds has some cool music.

is a level too hard or easy?
    They're hard, but challenging. I found the third level a bit too hard. The second was the easiest one.

and what i mainly came for: how many levels is enough?
    I voted for 9. I think that is a good number cus you divided it into a boss every 3 levels so it would be 3x3.

And also, an advice I can tell you: don't get disappointed. There will always (or most of the times) be people that think that your games rock and others that will tell you that they are garbage. Try to get something good out of both.
    Last edited by PhobiK; 03-23-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

okay... so fix up bg(there's only one little bump!)

What... creative commons licensed music?

everybody uses any song in flash!!!

look around:

www.eddsworld.co.uk
    www.psy-city.co.uk

higher frame rate?
    the only "jitters" i get is when my computer slows down because i have flash and mozilla and 5 flash players open.

okay, i will go by 9 levels.

you know guys, one way to suck at feedback on a game is looking at only one level (LEVEL 2)

don't worry... i'll get rid of those dots. On the main menu I'll have a picture of all of the characters from the levels. and I'd hate to see a bunch of dots there, it just doesn't work.

there i just made the dots into something a bit better.

somebody was saying something about music, well i am making credits to show all the names and all that. if i had made it, i would have put music by julian.
    Last edited by bounceboy; 03-23-2009 at 05:35 PM.

yeah i have heaps of friends (and i'll be suprised if you do too) that use flash and look up to me like the flash king, including some of my high school classmates.) leave me alone, alright? i wanted feedback not garbage and complete put-downs!
    Bounceboy, take no offence but you seriously need to take yourself down a few pegs. Just because your friends see you as the "king of flash" you should understand that everything is relative. You're responding to people views as if you know better than they do, which is clearly not the case.

I was not bragging, i was saying that there are people who would just love to come and steal my script! trust me.
    And trust me when I say there are about a thousand tutorials out there to teach anyone with a brain and copy of flash to create this.

the crazy colour stripes in the background, well they're only for the menus, they are only temporary for when you're playing the level.
    Irrelevant, the menus and game itself should share theme (generally, of course). There are quite a few things you could do with the menus, you could have a graveyard with the menu options on tombstones, for example.

ok... now i get what you mean by the zombies. i can't really do too much about that. the most i could probably do would be making them slow down if they are touching a real zombie.
    You can. Use pythag to check the distance between the last object which was spawned and place it accordingly.

yes, you see i am only making the swf viewable alone for you guys to look at. when the game's done, i put it into a html file and it will be its normal size instead of large like it is.
    Fair enough but not really a good reason. Flash has the publish option built in. The webpage may not look pretty but at least your game will be scaled correctly.

what colours i choose is up to me as well
    Err, maybe. But if you just think what YOU want from a game and not what the audience wants then, assuming this isn't just for your enjoyment, your game will only get so far.

What... creative commons licensed music?

everybody uses any song in flash!!!

look around:
    Lots of people crack open flash movies, put in their labels and reupload them. Just because they do it, doesn't make it right. There are loads of places to get decent music which you're allowed to use. Maybe try the audio portal on newgrounds.com?

you know guys, one way to suck at feedback on a game is looking at only one level (LEVEL 2)
    Grow up. We're playing and critic'ing your game for free, how about showing some apprieciation?
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Ouch
    I'm sensing a hint of discordance in your tone Tidenburg

BounceBoy, in case you haven't already, take a look around and I think you'll see why everyone is "putting you down"

Some of the members here have accumulated far more experience than you, yet still remain fairly modest (mostly)
    In contrast, you seem to be quick to question our own intelligence/experience, while only showing basic skill at most

Heck, even the most profound programmer can get some hate with that kind of attitude =\

As for your game, at the moment I mostly enjoy how simplified it is
    Also I get to spam click in time with the beats

I'd say this game reminds me a lot of 4 Second Frenzy

Try to pull some ideas from it? =)

People seem to think they can choose all of the colours and stuff in my game...

I am not saying i have more experience, I'm saying that you guys are all doing me to do this and that when it isn't your game. i asked for feedback but i didn't know people wanted to basically customize the game until it looks exactly like what they want! i bet you've seen a game that doesn't look good enough for you but do you complain to them that you don't like brown with pink?

this is the first but definitely the last time i am asking for feedback.

Student
    you are not asking for feedback but fishing for compliments- thats a difference. My first and main critique was that your forum post was not very well done, it lacked:
    - direction
    - context
    - full of pace and information lags
    dont take it necessarily in a bad way,- instead try to think of it as a way to improve. I have been propably in more bbs than you and I expierenced many similar situations like this. The way bbs chats work are different from like chats in your school or with your local buddies, because:
    - people usually dont know you
    - have no idea what you can do unless you post a link of something (just writing alone wont do)
    - are very critic here because so many children and spammers just dont know how to behave

If you want feedback on the game or graphics,- I think booth were not very good and it would be to difficult for me to even start somewhere about making suggestions.
    The main issues i had and why I closed it after a few seconds:
    - to bright and bad colors (they are just hurting the eye)
    - very bad music

You do know what feedback is don't you mate ?

People here are making suggestions to help you improve your game based on there knowledge and experience, not 'cause they want your game to look like what they want it to look like for their own evil purposes.

What would happen when you finish this game and post it to ng / kong etc. and a 100 people post that they don't like the colours, would you reply that it's not their game, or would you think that perhaps you could be wrong ?
    People posting here are giving their time to help you, to make your game better, so start taking advantage of that rather than fighting it.

Honest feedback isn't a criticism, it's a way of helping you make a better game.

Squize.

yeah alright but please calm down... it doesn't take 5 seconds to open 5 flash files and change all the colours in Flash Cs3...

my computer is slowish while flash is open.

And that's your excuse for your attitude??? Your computer isn't fast enough???

The game's themselves in concept are good, the ideas are there...

Hell, that's the only thing I can say without repeating what others have already tried to tell you.

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Hey dude, I played all 5 levels (I assume they are 5 since I completed the shooting targets 2 times and still the game was to shoot targets) and besides the fact that the graphics are offensive (I mean really eye destroying), the gameplay is good.

I don't know if you meant the random factor, but the boss can sometimes shoot the laser to the place you are supposed to pong the ball, thus making you lose a life regardless of your "skill".

Also, on that level where you need to smash the guys, make the bomb come from both directions. It is too predictable as it is now.

About the graphics (I refer to colors)... here is an idea, don't say that you would have to do it, but did you consider to make your game like it was hand drawn? (i.e. everything with just a simple blue pen/pencil shape on a piece of paper as the background) Anyway, you have to do something about the graphics. Majority of people will dismiss a game based on graphics.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bounceboy View Post
    People seem to think they can choose all of the colours and stuff in my game...

I am not saying i have more experience, I'm saying that you guys are all doing me to do this and that when it isn't your game. i asked for feedback but i didn't know people wanted to basically customize the game until it looks exactly like what they want! i bet you've seen a game that doesn't look good enough for you but do you complain to them that you don't like brown with pink?

this is the first but definitely the last time i am asking for feedback.
    LOL..... we are asking for color changes because WE are the ones that are going to be playing it, not you. If you don't agree with feedback, don't crit them, just say hmm I never thought of that, I will think about it. Thats like someone buying you a shoe and you throwing it back at their faces because you like your shoes... just take the damn shoes and never wear them!

Anyways the game was glitchy, graphics were almost as bad as mine (just kidding, but mine are pretty bad)

Game concepts are all that we can judge you on, really. It wasn't mind blowing but it was okay.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

For boss: yes its random
    Level 3: the bombs from both sides.... the bombs move fast!
    If you get used to it, hooray you found the pattern, the beat!
    When you find the beat you can beat that level easy.
    my friends find it hard enough so I don't want it any harder. BTW congrats on getting to level 5. (sorry I posted on website i am half done)

I will change the colours to darker when I get around to the game again.