dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Will Omitting Trace() Speed Up Your Code?

Game Developer

Question Will Omitting Trace() Speed Up Your Code?

Hey all,

I've always just assumed that all trace statements in your code do not get published into your final SWF.... but then i saw "Omit Trace Actions" in the Publish menu...

So, my question is this... If i do not select the "Omit Trace Actions" in the publish menu, will :

1.) My SWF filesize be bigger?
    2.) My SWF run slightly slower on my website? (because it is still tracing out the statements)

Thanks,
    Ryan

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    1 yes
    2 yes

It's always a good idea to clean things up, save and compact your fla and review yoru publish settings before compiling a final production swf. However, unless you're really squeezing performance or running thousands of traces it shouldn't make a noticeable difference.

Game Developer
    wow, that's quite surprising!

Why would adobe include the trace statements in a published SWF when they will do absolutely nothing! The only thing they do is print statements to the Flash IDE's debuggers window. Once your swf is on the web trace statements are useless.

I believe there is a firefox plugin that displays trace statements, useful for debugging a site without the flash ide.