dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SOA - EP Cover

SOA - EP Cover

Yo yo FKers this is a follow-up to my Live Shots thread.

I was given a vague concept for a sleeve photo for a song called "Never Had It So Good". You can hear the song at www.myspace.com/stateofaffairsrock

This time shot on a 5x4 Sinar Wolf on Ilford FP4 sheets.

C&C more than welcome
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

You're lucky begin able to work with all that kit. I wouldn't know where to begin!

Nice shot.

Maybe a tad too dark for me (around the face) but it's nicely taken and the composition works well.

I like it.

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    I really like the shot and composition but I agree that it is a tad too dark.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

BTW - Listening to that track now - really, really like it. There's definitely something there that you could see being successful.

It kind of reminds me of Teenage Fanclub - and that's a very good thing indeed.

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    Now that I am back at home the picture looks much better. I think my monitor at work needs to be recalibrated. Still a LITTLE dark but I can see a lot more detail now on this monitor.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Nikonist
    the dark doesn't bother me as it draws my attention to her face with the sad expression...I could imagine to give a slight light reflexion from the bottom on to her face to reduce the shady part under her nose...
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Thanks for the comments folks! Loydall, the Sinar is great fun to work with if the weather is right or you're using it in the studio. I got it for a steal aswell.

I remember the first time I was prepping to use a 5x4 and I was looking through theory it seemed so scary with tilts, slides, darkslides but it's all common sense really. Everything is there on the ground glass infront of you, real wysiwyg photography. (Apart from exposure where you have the bellows extension formula etc. )

I agree with the image being fairly dark, I was editing in pretty ****ty conditions and I'll be sure to boost it a little for print.

PS. the guy in the background was comped in from another sheet of film. I'm glad no one noticed
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 03-06-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this one. Here is another CD cover I shot last week.

Lights:

2x Bowens Esprit Heads
    2x Metz 45
    1x Nikon SB-800
    1x LCD Projector
    Streetlights

Hasselblad 503cw w/80mm | 15"@f22 | Fuji Pro160.

C&C more than welcome.

Nikonist
    excellent ambience!
    the light is set up gorgeous.
    no crits

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Thanks frex, glad you like it! It took me four hours and hundreds of digital tests to get it right :-D

[edit] that's so weird, i just finished looking up cullmann after seeing one of their tripods advertised locally. Why do you have the link in your footer?
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 04-10-2009 at 12:58 AM.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    That second photo is so freaking awesome!! So you take digital photos to get it right, then take out the hassy?

Yeh. I usually just fire the digital in manual and meter each light individually to get the exposure. It's really just to get the light placement right. As you know you can never really trust the modeling lamps on flash heads.

I would have loved to have shot 5x4 for this but i couldn't get hold of a lens wide enough in time. I reckon that'll be my next purchase, a 50/40mm for the hassy or a 90/70 wide angle for the sinar.

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay View Post
    that's so weird, i just finished looking up cullmann after seeing one of their tripods advertised locally. Why do you have the link in your footer?
    The link has nothing to do with Cullman photo equipment industry except the name.
    She is a pro photographer and a very close friend of mine. I am restauring her farmhouse right now and we will set up a studio in the barn.
    Means I will assist her and for sure we already are a good team...so there is the reason for the link to her website which btw I completely created in flash and managed to rank it 4 times on page 1 at Google with the required 4 search tags. *proud*

www.ajs-design.de