A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video on a .mobi site using flash buttons to control

Video on a .mobi site using flash buttons to control

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my head around embedding a video into a mobile web page. Basically it's an HTML page with a flash video player at the top. There are two buttons to control it, a pause/play and seek to start. Is it going to be possible to use these two buttons to control the video playback or will I need to rely on key presses on the phone keyboard?

So can I do something like this:
    PHP Code:
    controller.playBtn.onRelease = function()
    {

playVid();
    }

function 
    playVid(){

vid_video.play("Hammond3.3gp");    

status_txt.text "";

status_txt.text "Play";

I've tried that and published and tested in device central but the buttons don't work and I'm guessing it's because you need to use the keypad. Is that correct?

I've embedded flash video into a page many many times and was assuming it would be the same for mobile devices but then I've read that you need a 3gp format, and the device plays it not the flash.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

we need the following information:
    which version of Flash Lite are you developing for? (3gp requires atleast FL2, FLV requires FL3)
    which platform are you testing on? (Nokia s60, s40 etc)

Hey hp3,

I'm using FL 2.1 and using the Nokia 6300 to test but would like to use the format which has the widest penetration on mobile devices.
    I'm happy to use whichever version of FlashLite and device is needed to get the video react to buttons on the stage of the flash file.

Many thanks for the help.

Matt

1) Device central is for testing Flash Lite stand alone, not web page HTML content.

2) Since the 6300 is a series 40 device, you will need to verify that the device web browser supports embedded Flash content. I know that the s60 web browser supports embedded Flash but it has never been very clear to me how series 40 handles this. Just try embedding a swf into a web page, visit the page with your phone to find out what happens. Does the browser launch the Flash Lite player to display the SWF or does it appear in the web page as embedded content?

3) If it does support embedded Flash Lite content, then you need to figure out how the browser's user interface selection works in regards to embedded Flash Lite. Does it use a cursor which would execute mouse events, like your example, which would work more like the desktop PC environment (just put a button that shows a message on mouse over)? Or, does it use tabbed style navigation, which requires tabbing to embedded the Flash lite player to first give it focus, then relying upon your own ActionScript code to trap key press events and control the video playback.

You might also try using the Nokia series 40 sdk for testing. It typically includes the Flash Lite player, but I am not sure if it emulates the integration between Flash Lite and the browser. This all may end up being easier than it seems, but I haven't gone through the process of embedding Flash lite video in the series 40 browser, so I can only recommend a course of action for you to try.