dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [show n probe] Tunnel game unnamed

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar

[show n probe] Tunnel game unnamed

Hello all, just wondering what you think of this game i made. Probably a whole 6 hours went into this since i'm rusty at flash lol. graphics are horrible (zoom in on the explosion/car) I like the grass though I made other versions with different types of borders.

I guess this game is like helicopter birds eye view (-gravity)

http://www.megaswf.com/view/8ffa7387...2f77cede0.html

Part DEUX!
    http://megaswf.com/view/2ee1b19e9c6e...438eb035a.html

Vers 3
    http://megaswf.com/view/9c2bae6ba088...37887feef.html

any comments wanted.. just don't be too harsh... ratings also allowed. be mean if you like, but as stated above, not harsh.

Edit: it's obviously not polished, only debugged. No pause since I don't want that in the game as it is cheating.

No name either yet...

Edit:

Whoopsy-daisy, the score at the end pooped on itself.... anywho....
    Last edited by samvillian; 04-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Played it twice. It's fun and the automatic levels work very well. Controls are finely tuned too.

Just add some eye candy

Edit : Now that I think of it, two attempts is quite a short play time. As the next poster said, you may want to spice things up in order to keep the player interested longer than this.
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 04-01-2009 at 06:43 PM.

I think it's too easy and simple as it is.
    Most of the time I was just letting it go straight and giving it little nudges here and there. What's great about those helicopter games is you have to balance between active (going up) and inactive (going down), there's no just flying straight.

I'm not sure how you would translate the gravity mechanic into the top-down game, but maybe you could add a different mechanic to make up for it.
    I hesitate to suggest adding enemies that you shoot and/or avoid, but I feel like it needs something to make it a bit more complex.

Good luck.

Ya i know... I just can't think of anything... Maybe long division... lol.

Maybe I could change the controls so that it doesn't correct itself to the middle.
    Meaning that maybe when he clicks left, it goes left until he pushes right.

Did you try to play the other level? I think that has a good mechanic in it...

Any suggestions as to what to add? Maybe slick oil... or pot holes.... or mines.... that'd be too hard eye dee kay

Maybe have the path split into two, and then later three. I think that navigating different paths already introduces a new, complex aspect. I really wouldn't want you to add enemies to shoot or obstacles, since then it becomes like any other shooter or avoiding game...

Or have the path slowly rotate, and then you start moving a different direction.

If you don't want to change up the engine too much, then go with the first option of course, but the second one combined with the first would be the ultimate game!

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

might only be me, but every time I took my focus off the car, and looked at the scrolling background, I started to get a headache. Had to tightly focus back on the car to remove the sensation.

Yeh, I also found it too hard to look at.

Let me try to look at the road. It's not bad but I can mention that in the instructions. may cause dizziness for the weak minded, just kidding people.

Any way to fix that? I can't think of anything other then just deal with it lol.

As far as the tweaks go, I don't think I want to put that much effort in this little old game since its not the greatest, I just enjoy the concept. I like making games that you can compare your score with your friends and quickly beat it without having to go through 10 levels lol.... if you've seen my other games you know what I mean. I have a juggling game, which is just "try to beat my score" type of deal. I think these games are more addicting, especially in my eyes. I dislike other games , I can't play em.

Thanks for the comments. I will try to incorporate some sort of difficultizer into it... Maybe lightening (flashing screen)... causing seizures lol..... Oil slick is my fav option. It would making steering highly sensitive and harder to zero out. or elim zero out.

edit... man my sig is corny and old.. so is my avatar.

It definitely hurt my eyes and/or brain.
    Not sure why.
    Maybe the red and white stripes?

Nice game, but it definately needs improvement
    1) Make the track generation smoother, i mean the fence line should feel more continuous rather than being jumpy(zigzag) like that!

2) Please make the controls(including restart and menu) in either keyboard or mouse, don't make it so we have to use both!

3) An idea would be to make the car automatically slide towards either side of the road, and player will press&hold a button to bring it towards the center(or opposite side!)! Because timing your play is an important aspect of helicopter games!

4) Add a variation to the terrain from time to time...like why not let a few trees grow here and there, or a cow graze about, or even have a ufo fly across from time to time! That is, make the player feel it is a more dynamic environment overall, not only a dynamic track!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
    Nice game, but it definately needs improvement
    1) Make the track generation smoother, i mean the fence line should feel more continuous rather than being jumpy(zigzag) like that!

2) Please make the controls(including restart and menu) in either keyboard or mouse, don't make it so we have to use both!

3) An idea would be to make the car automatically slide towards either side of the road, and player will press&hold a button to bring it towards the center(or opposite side!)! Because timing your play is an important aspect of helicopter games!

4) Add a variation to the terrain from time to time...like why not let a few trees grow here and there, or a cow graze about, or even have a ufo fly across from time to time! That is, make the player feel it is a more dynamic environment overall, not only a dynamic track!
    Thanks for the ideas, great response. I don't really know how to fix the zig zag-iness... I thought about making that all one image, and making the street get smaller and smaller instead of the grass getting bigger and bigger, that might help.

As for 2, The menus are not done at all (as you can see lol) I just quickly made that stuff so you guys won't have any probs navigating.

3, in my opinion would bring in the luck aspect, which I don't like. Oh I got one! What if he has to pass through checkpoints? And he can only miss one every 10 seconds or something... or 9/10... IDK

4, definitely, when I polish the game it will have variations and stuff like that as you mentioned. Some eye candy if you will. Aren't I eyecandy enough? hmm that emoticon can be interpretted in a diff way..... with the surprised look and all...

Thank you sir, any suggestions on #1? #3?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by cadin View Post
    It definitely hurt my eyes and/or brain.
    Not sure why.
    Maybe the red and white stripes?

I think you are right... why would there be red and white stripes in what looks like the country lol. I will remove that crap and see how it looks. For now, its off to school! (college)

I know why peoples eyes hurt. I noticed that your just copying an image and placing it in the new position. Well, what I think would help tons is first of all, making a smoother track. The way you can do this is sort of use acceleration for the new position:
    Instead of:
    newX += Math.random()*10 - 5;
    Do:
    accX += Math.random()*4 - 2;
    newX += accX;
    All you need to do is initialize accX with 0 or something, and then also check to make sure accX doesn't go to much either positively or negatively...

That's step one...step 2 would be not having the track repeat so damn often. What I'd say would work is having a BitmapData of the street side, and then you copyPixels from that image onto the screen, slowly moving down the image, and then looping...hell, I'll whip up an example or explain it when I have some more time...

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    I know why peoples eyes hurt. I noticed that your just copying an image and placing it in the new position. Well, what I think would help tons is first of all, making a smoother track. The way you can do this is sort of use acceleration for the new position:
    Instead of:
    newX += Math.random()*10 - 5;
    Do:
    accX += Math.random()*4 - 2;
    newX += accX;
    All you need to do is initialize accX with 0 or something, and then also check to make sure accX doesn't go to much either positively or negatively...

That's step one...step 2 would be not having the track repeat so damn often. What I'd say would work is having a BitmapData of the street side, and then you copyPixels from that image onto the screen, slowly moving down the image, and then looping...hell, I'll whip up an example or explain it when I have some more time...

P.
    I get step one, make it smoother by, instead of making it go left in one step like a horrible animation, making it slowly head in that direction. Lets see if that would work well, its a good idea. You guys are turning this minigame into a full blown game, and I LIKE IT! Let me start with that. I guess I found my spring break project. I need an artist (pronounced are teeest).

Let me get the engine going first
    As for your step 2, what do you mean repeat? like the lines are all the same image? ya i see. by "street side" do you mean that grassy areas? If so then I get what you mean. In the way I think you mean, it would be like putting the street ontop of a big grassy image that goes down, loopingly. I don't know about that but I'll whip it up as you are whipping it up and compare lol.

Thanks and I would like more feedback since this is going so well lol. K, gotta get to work. Don't want to be all talk no walk now

EDIT: how my engine works is like so, the top two grass pieces (left and right) move either left or right (randomly generated) in 5 pixels. The piece under it copies that position, then the one under that copies that ones, and so on. All in a for loop with var i...

You probably figured that out already though. If not, then there it is. It's a simple code, no more then 50 lines ( 15 for the movement of the road ) I guess I gotta expand it.
    EDIT 2:
    My computer is huffing and puffing and is starting to smell like mary jane.... I don't smoke... not a good smell.. means something is frying lol w/e...
    Last edited by samvillian; 04-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Try the new version:
    http://megaswf.com/view/2ee1b19e9c6e...438eb035a.html

Changes:
    Took out annoying red white stripes,
    Tried that accX idea (didn't like it since its too easy ie not volatile, i need to work on that)
    nothing else actually... wow what a horrible version 2... anyways back to work.

I just need to know if its still blurring your eyes.

EDIT: VERSION 3!
    http://megaswf.com/view/9c2bae6ba088...37887feef.html

so sudden but here, test the new powerdowns. I will find powerups like scoreups and maybe smaller car.

-- minor changes to volatility(steepness of turns)
    -- added slick tires (HOLD SPACE BUTTON TO TEST)
    -- Added invisibility(press CNTRL to toggle on)
    -- minor fixes here and there...

need... graphic... artist......
    Last edited by samvillian; 04-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.

sorry for triple post but n e ways, I got some graphics in and need advice on them.

http://megaswf.com/view/edc40156b1be...6613ae6d8.html

Also how does the grass look? I am going to add trees and brush and rocks and stuff that come at random and stuff to make it less.... repetitive.

I want to know if the road looks good the way it is or too fantastic (fantasylike)

also if the road looks good in that it doesn't move left and right with the road.

My friend gave the idea of a slow-mo button (u would need to pick up items that add to your slo-mo tank) and picking up money off the ground to add to your score. I am also going to add oil slick, but I need ideas on how to simulate slick tires. should I make a delay in the turning?

Also please tell me if the engine itself can be tuned better. How can I improve the steering, how can I improve the random road generator, how can I make another level (what kind of level)

I need to work on:
    explosion
    menus
    instructions
    oil slick
    slo-mo
    coins
    shrubs/trees/rocks

Thanks alot! I hope I can find time to finish!

Edit: oh and to change colors change the number on top of the menu.

1 Blue, 2 green, 3 LTBlue, 4 orange, 5 pink, 6 purple, 7 red, 8 yellow

( i will have a color picker with the cars on there in the options )
    Last edited by samvillian; 04-07-2009 at 03:52 AM.