A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adobe Flex 3 SDK

Adobe Flex 3 SDK

Is it worth to begin learn it?

Dude, it's the same thing as normal Flash, except free! Just download FlashDevelop too, unzip the Flex sdk anywhere on your computer, and get rolling with the latest features of Actionscript 3.0!
    Also is the option to code in MXML, which is useful for creating simple apps really fast, and make them look professional...
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Flex 3 SDK is a low-level tool, there is normally not much to learn about it as you probably dont want to use it by manually typing in compile settings. Also notice that unlike Flash, sdk is code-only so you need to either use another program to create your graphics or create the graphics purely through code.

well, by learning it i mean getting familiar with mxml and the command lines. Also creating a project etc. I'm sure it's not as straight forward as flash IDE.

Thank for the replays though, they helped encouraging me.

For games you can ignore this mxml stuff
    I belive the main difference is that you can make things for the fp10 like load and save files, using vectors<> or the new comands on the drawing API

If you already have cs4, there is no need to learn it.
    If you have cs3 and want to use the latest features of FP10 without buying CS4, then this is a good option. You will not do more with the free sdk than you can do with CS4.

You don't need to learn the command line. As I said before, simply download FlashDevelop, and you're good to go with actionscript and mxml. mxml might not be ideal for games, but it's perfect for quickly creating small user interfaces and etc., perfect for contract jobs that would otherwise take up some time designing the buttons.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

FlashDevelop is great and everything but it doesn't have native linux support . any other alternative?

Hmmm...well then yes, as far as FlashDevelop goes, you're screwed...But I wouldn't be surprised to see any other sort of editor...otherwise you will need to use the commandline, which really shouldn't be too hard, seeing as you can link an xml file with build specs to the command line...I don't know much about it, all I know is that it's quite a hassle (for me it was)...
    WIP-ZOMBIES

For Linux Eclipse and Flex builder plugin should work I think. It's got a free 60 day trial so you can see if it works pretty well.
    If you want to compile with the command line, that's probably like an hour of research to make a .bat for it and thats it
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

If you come from a programming background Flex is a great way to produce flash .swf content entirely with code.

If you come from a designer background you may prefer Flash as it's more of a visual, point n click interface.