A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D applications

AS2 intolerant person

3D applications

im looking to create 3d in my flash movies, however im not particularly keen on create the so called 'fake' 3D in flash, i would prefer to use another program which creates 3d animation movies then convert to flv to use in flash.

the application i have chosen is Autodesk 3ds Max 2009. however i wanted to be sure that this is the right direction. i have taken a brief look at the program, and straight away it looks Greek to me lol.

i will be going through a large video tutorial which usually gets me to grips with new software (it worked for me using actionscript, javascript and a bit of php).

however i just wanted to ask if this is type of 3D software i want to use.

thank you

flos

Any time I've had to include 3D elements in my application, the graphics artists would use Max to do it. In many cases, instead of creating an FLV, they would export to multiple JPGs or PNGs and I would import the set.

Max is a powerful and complex application, especially (like me) for those who don't use it regularly. In the past I would use an application called TrueSpace. It was much easier to use and provided me the things I needed. However, I don't even know if the application is still available.
    Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

AS2 intolerant person
    thank you, you have confirmed my choice

AS2 intolerant person
    im coming back to this because i feel there are other programs similar to max which might be better.

theres some competition between 'Maya' and 3ds max.

for making 3d images or flvs for flash websites, which would you choose?

Maya or Max? (both 2009 versions).

thanks

flos

I haven't use Maya alot....never got the chance to output to an FLV with it. I kind of went with Max and haven't move out.
    Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.