A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E3 Rumor Mill

$249 mother****ing dollars?! is sony out of their god damned minds?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

As long as Sony & Microsoft can make some good games I think the motion add-ons will kill the Wii.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

doubtful.

This Mod Nation Racer looks pretty sweet too. I would rather play that then Mario Kart on Wii.

And why do you say doubtful? Name something other then the couple exclusive titles they have that these other systems don't have?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Twice as many machines already in homes.

half the price of the PS3

You may laugh but the WiiFit.

years Advance in developing titles with motion control.

keep in mind this is what, year 3 of the next gen consols? in 2-3 years expect the next consoles to be annouced(other then the ps3 which apparently has an 8 year shelf life)

When it comes to video games, Microsoft is still playing catchup, And sony isnt exactly doing themselves any favors with their pricepoints. Nintendo's consoles print money, and xbox360/ps3 motion controll isnt going to change that.
    Last edited by silverx2; 06-02-2009 at 04:13 PM.

I know the Wii already has a huge foot print in homes. I am talking about future sales. Also in the next gen do you think Nintendo will just magically release some super powerful machine so they are on the same level with the others?

and Sony has also said things have a 10 year life span. With the advancement in hardware I think they should really start trimming that number.

I think nintendo knows what its userbase is. its got some hardcore games that desire zelda games, and mario's.

But for the most part its alot of first time younger gamers, Graphics are not as important to that demographic, so much as simple and easy to play games at a low cost that parents can afford. i see them inovating again with their next console, HD graphics are a possibility since the cost of HD hardware is way down over 3-4 years ago, and will continue to drop. with 1-1 motion finally arriving, im interested to see what control inovations nintendos next console has.

games on the Wii are on average $10-$15 cheaper. on top of the cost of the consoles.

Future sales are going to remain high for nintendo. their hardware as far as i know is solid, so it doesnt have the stigma of the 360 rrod issues, and its cost is half that of the ps3.

The thing to keep in mind is are the ps3 and xbox360 motion sense controllers going to work with teh games already released, or are games going to be made specifically for them. then you have the problem of, do you want to buy another $50 controller to use with the 1-2 $60 games, for the $300-$500 system you already purchased? With nintedo the Wii-mote is the controller for all of the games.
    Last edited by silverx2; 06-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.

On this point, I agree with Silver. Wii is not fighting the other producers for an audience. The average purchaser of the Wii console has NOTHING in common with those of you on this board that cant wait for Duke Nukem or COD 8, Back to the Bush, or whatever it is that you kids play these days. Most in their demographic aren't clamoring for more polygons or even know what the hell FPS is. (whether First Person Shooter OR frames per second) That's not to say some of you might not play on the Wii console, but to understand the target consumer and average demographic is something completely different. Nintendo's goal is to put more Wii's in homes, period. Not to get more Wii's than PS3's or Xbox's. More toys to make the gameplay more fun on the Wii console will bring more people to the table to want one in their homes. Not everyone wants a sportscar, but most people want some sort of vehicle to get around.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

That is exactly what Nintendo is. They put out all this random crap and just to keep people happy they pull out a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game just to keep them hooked and not selling off their systems.

there is no way to respond to that without sounding like a fanboy.

Ill just say that all the other stuff is cool that they are trying to innovate the gaming industry, and im thankful that they will continue to make the games that i love at the same time.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Nintendo and have been since NES. I also agree in that they are innovative and will probably continue to be so for years to come. I am just saying that for a more then casual gamer the Wii is a second place system that goes nicely along with either a 360 or ps3. They have the common home market dominated. Would just be great to see them expand a little and start taking other markets along with them. They definitely have enough money to really go for it next round.

Seriously. The 360/PS3 are for core gamers. The Wii hits the right spot for casual gamers.

Get what suits you best. By this time next year, all of the systems will have uncoordinated nerds trying to bowl, swing a tennis racket and play some sport they've rarely done in real life.

HD gaming has almost always meant a shorter game. More graphics, less space for game. Nintendo hit a sweet spot. There is more casual gamers than hardcore.

Ask Sony.

And $249 for the PSP Go... hell no. It'll have to come with a free year of rental games for me to think about it. Smaller screen too that's not AMOLED? Pfft.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Playstation and Xbox are for core gamers, but now they will get casual gamers with their sensors as well. Wii would probably die out, like 64, if nintendo dont provide good titles for gamers.

but if u go by history, Nintendo would come back with some more innovative way to play game again. maybe another round of virtual reality?

Nintendo makes fun games. The N64 was a wrong release - a cartridge in a disk world - at the wrong time.

The Wii... standard definition in a high definition world. Yet... they're doing damn well still.

I know this will harken back to the Subway/Gerbick arguments, but I don't really give a **** about graphics for graphics sakes when I just want a fun ass game first and foremost.

The Wii delivers on some cases just that. But some things are just... gimmicky.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The geekdom/fanboyism in this thread is incredible. You people (Silver and Gerbs notwithstanding) don't get it. You are looking at the Wii from the standpoint of someone who knows about gfx cards and fps ratings and refresh rates and all that sh*t that the average Wii purchaser could give a crap about. Cool fun gameplay in a package that doesn't make you feel like a dunce because you don't have a phd in electrical engineering or don't know an easter egg from a deviled egg. They both have their place. Nintendo decided to avoid the competition of polygons + pixels = success. They decided to bring it into the living room, not into the 'gaming dungeon.' The term casual gamer means gamer still. Most people with ONLY a Wii in their home don't even consider themselves gamers...whether casual, aggressive, or what have you. It's a piece of equipment that's as ubiquitous as a stereo or a DVD player. Someone with a Netflix account is not necessarily a 'movie buff' just as someone with a Wii is not a 'gamer.'
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

pardon me but i havent seen any fanboyism in this thread so far. this is just a casual discussion about games, right? not a console war

i own Wii by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Jujumon View Post
    Playstation and Xbox are for core gamers, but now they will get casual gamers with their sensors as well. Wii would probably die out, like 64, if nintendo dont provide good titles for gamers.

but if u go by history, Nintendo would come back with some more innovative way to play game again. maybe another round of virtual reality?

JuJu keep in mind, sony and microsoft wont be release thier sensors for about a year, if not longer. by then its year four of this console "war"

i expect the next nintendo console to be annouced within 3 years, and hopefully with that possibly add some HD graphics, and a new/better way to play games. Will they ever be hardcore again? very doubtful. ill just be happy if they keep making the games i love, on hardware that doesnt break down or cost alot.

exactly. though im just wondering how far they can keep coming up with new way of playing Mario titles while MS and Sony are trying hard to cut in the share of their casual gamer audience.

...but if in the future nintendo can make me play Mario in a true VR environment (eg. with a VR helmet or something, and me being Mario going around destroying blocks...etc) then im sold!!

I watched all 3 E3 presnetations and only Nintendo had working system. It was fun to see engineers from MS and Sony workout on stage but all they had was some tech demos and gadgets from the labs. These are not things you can sell to consumer. Not to mention games that can do anything useful with them. They are still years away from actual things and I will remain cautious about movement detection of cheap cameras in any real environment.

PSP GO - costs too much and still doesnt offer anything your cant get from DS. Its targeted at people who already own PS3 so their potential market is only fraction of DS.

I would not be surprised to hear news from Sony about closing some of the products completely, considering how much money they currently lose every day.