A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: No memory to decode image

No memory to decode image

It may be device specific but i am getting lot of memory problems while putting my app on motorazr(BREW). When I am trying to load the frame having some images it says -"Information -No memory to decode image"
    The one image on the first frame is displayed but when i go to second frame having another image it gives this problem and does not show the image but shows other things on that frame. Also when I go back to the first frame, it gives the same trouble for that single image on frame 1 but load rest all the things.

How can i handle the situation?
    Last edited by adahsrah; 05-07-2009 at 02:15 AM.

jpeg images decompress into memory, so it is hard to know how much memory they require.

if possible, can you use png?

Thanks hp3. As it was the image size prob, I used smaller images and it worked.

Any possible conclusion on what maximum size image can we load or is it that what depends upon the free memory ?
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Yes my observation is it depends upon the free available memory. There is one thing which i didnt understand though. When my application is on 1st frame it decodes image1 and displays. When it goes to 2nd frame it does not have memory to decode image2. But when i come back to the first frame it shows the same memory prob for image1. So does this mean whenever the app comes to 1st frame it will decode image1 again and again? why so? And if the previous image was put out of memory while going to frame2 same should happen while coming back to frame1. In this case after coming back to frame1 it should have enough memory to decode image1. (as it had done it before).

Hey I think when you decode the image of 1st frame, memory would be full enough not to accomodate one more image and hence it would be thrwing an error when it goes to second frame.

But when it comes back to 1st frame it would not be decoding the image again as it was already decoded and hence it is not throwing an error. I am quite sure about this.
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

Hey I have checked it on the device and it DOES show the error after coming back to fraame1.
    I thought it should not be happening but IT IS happening and i dont get the reason.