A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What is Standalone version ?

What is Standalone version ?

Hello all,

I am a bit confused with the word standalone player on mobile. Can somebody please explain me the defination of this. I tried googling for it, but failed to gather enough info.

One more question, can I embed FlashLite in browser in all the mobiles who have browser facilty....
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

standalone is a flash player that runs outside of the browser. You can think of it as either a runtime for your SWF application, or as a multimedia player that plays your SWF content. The advantage of standalone is that it runs full screen, integrates with the phone and is more cpu efficient because it runs on its own, without the additional resources required by the browser.

A phone needs to have Flash Lite integrated with the browser. I think most phones that have Flash Lite on the device have it integrated with the browser but there are some differences in how this works.

For example Sony Ericsson phones have an odd implementation. Inorder to get interactive capability with Flash Lite you must load the SWF on its own in the browser, not embedded in a web page. When embedded it acts like gif animation, no interactivity.

So you need to research your target platform. At this point in time it would probably not be a good idea to rely upon Flash content in a web site accessible from phones, unless you are targeting a specific platform like Symbian s60 phones.

You will probably get best results with Flash Lite in web browser for smart phone platforms like s60, windows mobile and Android (when it comes out for Android). You may want to avoid flash in web content accessible to feature phone platforms like SE and series 40.

Thanks sir moderator....that was really a very good info!
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam