A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Elements. Fantasy cards game

Hybrid View

Elements. Fantasy cards game

Hi Guys,

I just finished the beta version of this free online fantasy card game, I'd love to have some beta testing: bugs, comment, etc.

Link:
    http://www.elementsthegame.com/

Also, it will be soon time for distribution: anyone has any suggestion about how to advertise my game (online) ?
    Last edited by zanzarino; 05-27-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Looks and sounds very good (love the guitars on main page). If someone doesnt want to bother creating new account, you can use the one I made for testing (testtest-12341234).

Thumbs up How Do You Make The Login Thing

Hey im just wondering how did you make the account login thing
    my email is kgb1953@hotmail.com

Cheers, Greatly appreciated if you respond & help!

Quote Originally Posted by Cnex Industries View Post
    Hey im just wondering how did you make the account login thing
    my email is kgb1953@hotmail.com

Cheers, Greatly appreciated if you respond & help!
    When a new account is created, a flash script sends the new username, password, and email (using the command LoadVariables) to a php file on my server;
    the php file creates a mysql query for the database where a new row is created with the information for the new user (username, password, decks, etc. etc.)

When someone returns and uses the "Login" button the process is the same, but the flash script opens a different php file that returns a string with all the variables for theat user.

During the game, a third php file keeps the database updated, saving the new variables everytime a user wins or loses a game.

You can find decent tutorials online like this one:
    http://www.flash-creations.com/notes...m_database.php

One thing that almost nobody will tell you is: do NOT use the loadVariables script on the root level of your flash movie, it would send ALL the variables to the php files, make a copy of the variables your need to transfer in an instance and use instancelevel.LoadVariables

There are other ways to do it, but, as far as I know, none is a direct connection between the flash file and the database (I wish we could do that).

Very polished & looks great (interface, turn end animations). Some early feedback having played about 4 matches:
    - no 'graveyard', so if my opponent plays an instant I don't know I never get a chance to examine the card
    - gaining cards seems very slow, though this may be intentional (eg if you are going to sell boosters it's probably about right)

Hey man love your game, while I was playing tho I used the Lighting Car that deals 5 damage but I didn't mean to use it. When I hit cancel the card was used and vanished from my hand even tho I didn't use it. Nice game man.

Found another thing. Once a card is discarded and your mouse is over it, the image stays displayed untill you hover your mouse on another image.

Thank you for the feedback, I will fix the bugs you reported as soon as I can...

Beside the slow gaining cards, you are right gambrinous, it is intentional, it is not because I am thinking about selling "boosters", it just beacause it gives longevity to the game, that's why I created the "login/save" system. I have a guy that in just two days won 100+ cards. In fact, I am thinking about making it even harder

Nah, the difficulty is all right. That guy obviously has too much free time on his hands.

You can however, create an harder (ancient?) difficulty level, which could give you access to some exclusive cards but with a high cost of losing. Or, create a tournament section.

Just for curiosity, how many accounts do you have registered? This is a high-quality game but I don't seem to find any information about it on Google.

Also, perhaps you could move your cards (which are in the right bottom corner) and place them under the pillars cards. Plus, maybe you could re-arrange your "mana" interface. I remember when playing it was confusing to look at it. In fact, I never look at the values, I just play the cards that have that white glow (means there is "mana" available to play them).

Since you're not littering your page with ads, you have more space to play with.
    Last edited by Hurdarr; 05-14-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Couple more:
    - allow people to play as a 'guest'. Think you'll get a lot more people trying it out this way
    - 910px wide makes it quite hard to fit in many flash portals (seen it come up in the mochi ads distribution area), mine included. I'd love to feature it - any way it can work at 800px wide?
    - second the late game stuff; even harder tier 4 decks with exclusive cards to win would be good

So all the card art is from creatures created in Spore? Very neat!

Nice game. The absence of blocking makes creatures with abilities to kill other creatures quite valuable. I couldn't win new cards though and I'm not playing at the training level. The spinner comes up, but nothing gets added to my deck?

To Hurdarr:
    I am already adding rare cards that are not sold at the bazaar and I am planning to add tier 4 decks.
    The game is brand new, I started distributing it today and I got 100 accounts created, it will take a while for google to index it.
    Cleaning up the mana area is a good idea, I added it to the "to do" list.
    Thanks!

To gabrinous:
    The "guest" option is a great idea; Even though creating a new account takes about 5 seconds, I know most people hate creating accounts (I am one of them).
    800px wide... mmmm fitting everything in 800px is going to be quite challenging; I could move the cards to the bottom (as Hurdarr suggests) do you have any restriction for the height?
    Yes, most card art comes from spore players that agreed to let me use their creations, plus some photoshopping of course.

To TOdorus:
    You win a card only when the same card appears in the 3 slots (like in a slot machine). You have about a 5% chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by gambrinous View Post
    So all the card art is from creatures created in Spore? Very neat!

Could you make a sporecast of them all, zan? If you have a spore account, if not give me a list of all the people that let you use them, and i'll do it myself. I want to make an Elements themed spore game. Just for the sake of it.

You click the spinner and if all 3 cards revealed are the same you win a copy.
    Found another bug: if you go 2nd you can play pillars during their 1st turn, you then get to draw on your turn.

By the way Zanzarino, it might be a good idea to buy a domain, and just make a mini-site around it. You later can add sections like tips and tricks, a forum, blog (for updates), a wiki and so on.

If you play your cards right, you might get a ton of search engine love.

By the way regarding the guest login. People are super lazy. If I hadn't saw the dummy account posted earlier, I wouldn't even try the game.

What you can is simply create a dummy account. And place the username/login in the site, Something like:

"Wanna try Elements But Don't Want to Register? Login With This Account: Elements/Rocks". It's easier than make the Guest Login.

Also, when I'm registering a new account, you should include a "Back to Main" link.
    Last edited by Hurdarr; 05-14-2009 at 09:32 AM.

'Play as Guest' is better cos then those new players all get the 'new player' experience of choosing a deck and playing the tutorial enemy.
    800px wide and about 600px high would probably be the limit for most designs I'd say. Some portals won't be able to do even that wide, but there you go.

Ok,

I just fixed the "I lost the coin toss but I can play cards anyway" bug and the "cancel" function will now give the card back, but not the mana (you have to pay for your errors somehow ).
    Thank you for reporting the bugs.

I also changed the "Create new account" button to a less intimidating "Play Now!"

The "guest" option is still the best idea but it takes longer (I have to change the scipts or otherwise the game would send garbage to the database, trying to auto-save the game).

Thanks again, more improvements are on their way.

@gambrinous: Yes, but I imagine that requires a lot of code. Adding a simple dummy login/pass will incite MANY players to join in.

Hey Zanzarino, you got me hooked!! Something that I noticed is that there is no way of exiting the game once your in the main menu. You can have an exit button linking back to your site? just ideas. Another thing do you plan to build a multi-player into it? that would drive more people to play the single player (to build their decks) and just keep people playing in general.