A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Elements. Fantasy cards game

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    This is a pretty awesome game. It seems like Magic the Gathering, a game I tried to get into but it never made sense to me.

My only problem with it was getting eased into the game. The tutorial works but I just skipped over all the text and tried to understand how it worked. Playing the first easy game helped but some things didn't make sense to me, like I wasn't sure exactly what the numbers on the cards meant. By playing a second game and actually reading the help clarified my confusion.

At the very least, you should add a "help" button to make a pop-up window with reference on how the game works. Ideally, I'd like to have some kind of animated demo that made me understand what was going on visually, or at least some indication of what cards are attacking what. I was confused as to why my player has HP as well as the cards.

I would suggest adding a "guest" account that lets you start playing right away. The only reason I bothered to play was because tonypa posted a login. The title screen doesn't even let you know what kind of game it is so there's nothing compelling enough to get people to register in the first place. Maybe you should post a demo video or some kind of demonstration to get someone interested if you want to make login mandatory.

I'd like to see a multiplayer version with a lobby and whatnot. Could be fun!

Congratulations on making a very awesome game
    One suggestion would be to make it so that a player can switch the aspect of their deck so that your mark isn't permanent.
    Also i'm just curious what did you use to make this game?

It's a very good game. I enjoyed playing it.
    The only drawback is that I think the balance is far from perfect and makes it very frustrating. I played about 20 games (training twice and then basic ennemies) and lost a lot of them whereas I was always playing the smartest things possible (I didnt have many choices to do most of the time, and I did win the games in which I had more choices to make).
    I started with the death deck, and I often ended up overwhelmed my the ennemy's superior power and simple defense. Any shield that reduces all damage by 1 is able to put the ennemy out of reach of most of my creatures. As I said, frustrating.
    Here's how my last game ended :

I had so many useless quantums and my ennemy so many powerful creatures. I think you should tune them down, or maybe it's just that I chose a loosy deck.

But I like it, I hope I'll have time to play again.

I played death too fil_razoback and I relate to that, but it is actually balanced. The deathdeck is a mobdeck, so a shield wil ruin your day, but that's what Nightfall or Vulture is for. I'd get rid of all the less usefull cards and skim your deck to 30 cards you do use.

I did find the fireshield overpowered (deal 1 damage to all attack creatures) as you can't opt to Not attack. In combination with boneyard this would happen: My creatures get killed by the shield, which spawns a lot of skeletons which get killed too. I don't think it's your intention that skeletons immediatly attack too, them getting spawned in the attack phase and all.

I thought the same, until I discovered a nice color combo. Played PvP several times and won all games.

Also, how do you change your primary color generator? I'm using different colors and every turn I get useless mana.

You should remove most of the mana info. I mean, if I´m using a two color deck, why do you need the 10 additional mana sprites? It's eye-litter.

You need to add a back to menu button, as a Log Out one.

So I just found another bug where I would poison a creature with Parasite then the computer would use the parallel universe move and copy their own creature and I didn't poison the new creature but he still continues to lose life with the original

Thank you for all the feedbacks,

@fil_razorback :
    Tha hardest thing in the game is to find a good build for your deck, the starter deck will probably lose most of the games above level 1

@Soundsbien :
    I will add the option to switch to another element soon, it's in the "to do" list, when a creature is copied, the poison status is also copied, the problem is that the poison icon (and the frozen animation too) do not re-appear on the new creature... I'll try to fix that.

And thank you also for the other comments/suggestion, I have a very long list of things to fix/improve, I thought that having a level4 with the option to play against other players deck was the most important thing to add.

Alright, I was wrong. Things are well balanced and I started winning right after cleaning my deck. I hadnt noticed I could whereas it was essential.

Some more remarks :

-Nightfall cards dont cumulate, is this on purpose ?

-I think I caught a bug, here's what happened. (EDIT : looks like someone caught it before me)
    .My opponent summoned a Flesh spider (#1)
    .He duplicated it with some card whose name I dont know. The new spider is #2
    .I poisoned spider #2
    .He played (nothing special)
    .I poisoned spider #1
    .We both played a few turns
    .He duplicated spider #1 into spider #3. #3 had no poison icon
    .#2 died of poison
    .I played (nothing special)
    .Spiders #1 and #3 died of poison whereas only one of them had the poison icon

-EDIT : another one
    When a poisoned Antlion uses burrow, it still can die of poison. I dont know if that's on purpose too.
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 05-17-2009 at 10:46 PM.

found a small bug, I had two blessing cards, clicked one, but instead of clicking target, I clicked the second blessing card, the first blessing disappeared effecting nothing.
    mmm signature

@fil_razorback:
    Nightfall effects do not cumulate: the nightfall/bone yard combo would otherwise be ridiculously overpowered.
    The burrow ability does not remove poison, the creature is immune to all effects (but nightfall) only after it burrowed.

@ChaseNYC:
    I could fix it, making it impossible for the player to play cards while targeting, but I would say it is a minor problem. There are just too many possible combinations of clicks a player can incur into.

Hey zanzarino great game, I spent last night trying to get cards so I could beat level 2, but never did A few bugs but i think they already been brought up by other users.

The player vs player mode would be great, and could make this really big. You should add some kind of payment system so user can buy cards for real money, then you could start making some cash . As Hurdarr said, you should fix a domain name and make a micro site.

Try out my game http://alpha.bombwar.com - Alphakey: fkaplha

Woot, I maintained my ranking today but it was at high cost (where did my late afternoon go ?). I also corrupted a friend into playing it and his seems pretty addicted, we talked of strategies for the whole diner. I think this game is going to be huuuuuuuge.

A few more remarks :
    -When "Reverse Time" is used on a creature you copied from the ennemy (using parallel universe), you end up with that card in your deck, whereas it's not a card you actually got from your library. You might want to bring back the monster to the ennemy or to apply reverse time the previous creature.
    -The AI sometimes play Nightfall when there's amready one (maybe you corrected this since yesterday though)
    -You might want to avoid this :http://g.imagehost.org/0842/self.png All you need to win this match is luck. On the first time I lost just because I had lost the coin toss (we were both aaaaalmost dead and it was his turn), I won because I was very lucky the second time it happened to me.
    -You cant copy Immortals whereas the description says they cant be "harmed".
    -There's a problem with stealing Dimensional Shields. Here's how it goes :
    1. Ennemy uses dimensional shield
    2. I play, my creatures are blocked
    3. Ennemy plays
    4. I steal the dimensional shield and press space. The dimensional shield vanishes, even though it has only blocked one charge of creatures.
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 05-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Playing against your "self" is just playing against a computer with your deck, it's not luck. I've never lost to a computer playing with the same deck as me This game is awesome, by the way!

Metamorphosis.. excellent. You really need to check that the element they are switching to isn't the one they already are using I'm sure there was some difficulty or you'd have done so already but it's gonna happen.. a lot!
    Last edited by redjag; 05-20-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Was going to push this out on our portal tonight but the width of the game is just too high to fit

If you want this to go viral (on other hosts) I strongly suggest you redesign to fit within 800px wide by 600px high.

Thanks Gamb,

I'll try to make it fit into a 800X600 window; it will take a while, I'll keep you posted.

Hi! Great game, I freaking love it. I got 1st place for the day and got up to 18th all time, not sure what it is now though. I was using a pure fire deck:

15 pillars
    5 ash eater
    5 crimson dragon
    5 fire bolt
    2 deflagration

My record is 182 wins, 32 loses.

I'm going to talk about fire because it's my favorite. Fire Spirit seems like a pretty cool creature card but when I finally removed them and replaced with ash eaters I noticed a huge difference. The Fire Spirits are too slow for fire, it costs 3 mana to play for 0/2, 1 mana each time for +1 atk. The problem I have with Fire Spirit is that it is way too slow of a mechanic for the style of fire. If I spent 10 mana on a Fire Spirit I end up with 7/2 after eight rounds or so, vs spending 10 mana on a crimson dragon that gives me 12/3. It just seems slow for a fire creature is all. Also Flame Shield seems kind of weak. I don't have a grasp of the overall balance of Elements so just my thoughts about them.

Bug: If you cast a spell and cancel it you are still charged for it, not sure if it's a bug or intended.

Intended?: I notice some dragons are better than others, for 10 mana you usually get atk/hp that equals up to 15 but some of them go up to 19, again not sure if that's intended, or certain creatures balanced for their color because of other cards of that color.

Thank you very much for making this game! As to getting it out on the net newgrounds.com seems like a popular site to post it on. There's also a site called casualcollective.com but I'm not sure if they'd be interested.

I also found fire to be very effective and eventually came to the same conclusion as you about Fire Sprites - just not worth the space in the deck for the most part. I have to strongly disagree with you on Flame Shield, it is one of the best shields in the game if not the best. Passively killing creatures is awesome

Being charged for canceled spells was an intended design choice.. I think originally you lost the card as well.

I think the variety in dragons is intended based on what is available for the rest of the cards in that element.

I would like to suggest some system to allow players to chase down those rare cards they want instead of the almost-insane random chance of getting the one they want. Perhaps a special currency awarded for "PvP" games that would allow you to buy the rare card. I also figured that given the difficulty in finding one rare card that you'd then be able to buy that rare card from the bazaar from then on, but that is not the case. Sad!

You seen it here first.

24 Burning Pillar
    6 Fire Bolt

Three wins, zero loses so far!

Okay. I'm going to bed so here's the update.

5 wins, 1 loss

In one match I challenged myself, won, three spins, won three fire bolts. Bug? This was using the 24 Burning Pillars and 6 Fire Bolt deck.